Girls Write Out
Thursday, October 20, 2005
I whined. I complained. I offered chocolate. But it didn't matter. My three blog-buddies are making me write our first official blog. And why are they making me go first? Because they're busy writing novels while I, poor slouch that I am, have no writing contracts at the moment. If anything, should this not entitle me to a pity party?

But fortunately, I do have something to write about today. It concerns a shocking discovery I had upon wakening this morning. But before I go there, let me tell you a little background to help you understand. I'm not old. I'm thirty-six, and while that's way beyond the giggle-induced slumber-party age, I'm hardly a card-carrying member of the AARP either. So, I'm middle-aged, but I have genes on my side. My parents are both youthful-looking, and I inherited a small frame with a small head and face to match which has always given me a young-kid look. (I realized I had a small head when my oldest son was seven. His hat fit me, and I have worn it ever since.)

But back to my shocking discovery. It occurred when I looked in the mirror (as most shocking discoveries do.) Now, my eyes are a little bleary in the morning, and I don't see well until I use eye drops. So after this routine action, I glance in the mirror on my way out to wake my three boys.

I stop. I stare. This can't be.

My eyebrows have slid down my face. Yes, slid, like a California mud slide. And in their journey south they have pushed the skin of my delicate eye area--this is what all the face creams call it, although I never understood why until today--into a sagging skin-tent over my eyes. I look closer. I press on the skin. I use my index finger to lift up my brows into their rightful position . . . ah, there we go. I release my brows. A tent. Without the stakes. It sags at an angle, hiding my eyelids altogether and distorting the shape of my brown eyes. Lovely.

It's happening. I'm aging--overnight, apparently--and it really bothers me. I might try some creams for my "delicate eye area", but honestly, I'm not holding out much hope. For now, I walk away from the mirror and tell myself to get used to it. My eyes have an awning now, and I have a feeling God's not going to be rolling it up anytime soon.
Anonymous  
posted at 11:04 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, Denise! I can so well relate! But hon, you don't look your age...AT ALL! LOL

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Tracey Bateman said...

Hang in there, Denise. you could always pluck all your eyebrows and pencil them in however high on your face you want them to go. :)
On the other hand, you still look like you're 25, so why should I sympathize? I, too, am 36 and I look every blasted second of it.

Great blog you guys!!!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Sigh..being on the high side of 50, I have a vague memory of your problem. Don't worry-be happy! You still can SEE in the mirror.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Aw, Denise. I like to think that middle age is 60. Yep, I'm a fiction writer too. Just be thankful you aren't getting those little lines over the top of your top lip that scream "smoker!" Even though you've never smoked in your whole life! You know maybe droopy eyelids would be better in my case, I wouldn't be seeing those nasty lines. Hang in there girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz