Girls Write Out
Sunday, October 29, 2006

I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR

My favorite TV show comes on Friday nights, which also happens to be our "family night". Last week I was still in mourning from missing it the previous week when I realized we had plans for the upcoming Friday night as well. I determined I was going to do something I haven't done in years (and years, and years). I was going to tape that baby.

So I pull out our ancient VCR, and I'm talking OLD. We've had this thing at least a decade, probably longer. I'm not even sure it will work with our new TV. I'm technologically challenged, the instruction manual is long gone, but low and behold, we still have the remote control! I go to the store and ask what cords I need to hook this thing up with. Turns out, it's only two cable cords, so I'm thinking there's hope.

I get home and hook it up to the spare TV. It works! Amazing. I'm so proud of myself. Then I realize we'll be gone all night on Friday and the tape only lasts two hours. I'm going to have to set the timer and the clock. I dilly dally awhile and finally figure it out. It's set, and I think it might actually tape when it's supposed to. The timer light is on and everything. I threaten my kids within an inch of their lives not to mess with the TV. I leave the room and come back later. The timer light is off. I can't even get the VCR on. Then I realized I had plugged it into the outlet that's controlled by the light switch, and I had turned off the light.

So I replug the VCR, reprogram the clock, and re-set the timer. I know what I'm doing now. We leave for the night and come back late. First thing I do is check the VCR. Behold, I have taped a program! Houston, we have lift-off! Saturday I lock myself in the room and watch my show in peace. And next week, if we need to leave on Friday night, it's okay. I have this whole VCR thing figured out.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com
Anonymous  
posted at 9:56 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 10:07 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

Nicely done! The ol' VCRs do come in handy...so what is the show you watch?

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I'm with Kristin. I have a DVR and there's no going back! LOL.

I have two shows I watch on Friday and this week I didn't realize we were going to be out late and forgot to program the DVR. I was so happy when I pulled into the garage at 8:55. Sheesh. That was close. LOL.

And yes, I know 8:55 isn't late by most standards, but for this gal it is. ;)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

D, I'm so proud! You should get one of the new VCR/DVR recorders. They're not that expensive and you could put it on DVD.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

AH Men in Trees is my new favorite show. That's the one I was rushing home to watch. If you ever miss it I usually have it on DVR for a day or two. ;)

It doesn't hurt that Jack is so dreamy...sigh.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Yes, DVR is TiVo for dish network. At least that's what mine is called. And yes the writing is fab. I don't care much for Anne Heche or however you spell it, but I even like how they write her character.

Seriously, email me if you ever miss it. I can put it on tape and mail it to you. I keep it on my unit for a couple days.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

don't worry, Denise ... I still use VHS to record too. And, my husband won't let me set the timer 'cause I always get the date wrong. :) (and there is NO WAY you can miss an episode of 24 or you're completely lost)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

I still have a Betamax...I do have a DVD players as well, so I'm not totally a cave dweller.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Men in Trees! Should've thought of that. I thought, Reba, maybe.

:)

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Denise, would you call and tell me how to set the TIME on half the clocks in my house now that Colleen got her DST outta here?

Techno-challenged! But that's what son-in-laws are for!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Okay .. . totally laughed at the VCR thing. It's been 2+ years since I've done that routine. We went with DVR . . . but I wish we had TIVO. DVR records the time slot, so if one of your shows (say Dancing with the Stars. . . this is a real world example) is 1.5 hours instead of the 1 hour it usually is, DVR won't extend the time. TIVO, you can set it so that it will tape a show everytime it's on for the season.

I do have a friend who has DVR and never remembers to set it. Causes her to race home from our girls' dance class on Wednesdays to hit the end of the DWTS result show.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Do you have the newer DVR, Heather? I only ask because my DVR records the whole show. The only time it doesn't is if the program is off its time slot for some reason. You just click guide and click the program you see that you want. And you can record every show. I have mine to record all new Monks. I have like 15 on my hard drive right now that need to be watched. LOL.

Also, you can manually extend the time for however much time you need. You just have to go into your settings. (Okay, I'm getting off my DVR soap box) ;)

Either way, it's gotta beat those tapes. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz