Girls Write Out
Friday, February 09, 2007

Today we welcome one of our favorite new writers (she's been writing well for years, but her first publication is up this year!) Welcome to Robin Carroll:

Let me paint you a scene.....a writer slaving over her words, sitting alone in front of a computer. She feels like she's been there forever. Sure, she's been writing for publication for years, but a contract has been elusive. She screams, she cries, she kicks the couch in her office. Frustration claws against her heart. Why continue doing this? No one will ever buy any of these manuscripts. Doubts pull against her, weakening what is left of her sanity. She's taken workshops, sat at the knee of wonderful writers, soaking in all that she could. The craft books pile up on her desk, all read and lessons gleamed from each. Our author has entered contests, finaled and placed. She's got an agent who enthusiastically believes in her work, is out there pounding the publishing pavement with manuscripts in hand, but our discouraged author is so down hearted.

Now the phone rings. Caller id reflects it's super agent. Our author answers the phone--this isn't anything out of the ordinary as her agent keeps in touch with her on a regular basis. They chat for a few minutes about life in general. And then the agent says the magic words....

"You have a contract offer from Steeple Hill."

Yes, that author is me. Yes, that is where I was in my life when I got "the call". After my agent delivered that most beautiful line of all to an aspiring author, I blocked out most of what else she said. My heart pounded, adrenaline rose higher than when I was in active labor. She had to repeat the terms a couple of times before it sunk in. I was going to be published! I was going to live my dream!

I hung up the phone, jumping and screaming. Scared my children! LOL Called my husband who hollered out in his office "My wife's gonna be published!" I hung up with him and called my friend and mentor, Colleen. She screamed and squealed and even over the phone lines, I could feel her hugging me in excitement! She gave me 15 minutes to call my buds before she announced on the loop. Thank goodness for 3-way calling ability!

On the heels of excitement came a whole slew of things I'd never considered--contracts, art fact sheets, revision letter, and line edits. Of which, I just mailed back today! :) Professional PR photos, bios, marketing strategies....writing a sequel! Of which, I just mailed to my agent last week! But oh, the joy of living the dream!

BAYOU JUSTICE will release this October, by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense. It's a story about the secrets of a family's past, which lead to a modern day murder. This story is so special in my heart for various reasons....the setting is south Louisiana, cajun country. Having lived there, I can honestly say the cajun people are a breed unto themselves, and you'll never find such a fun, outgoing, and hospitable group of folks anywhere else in the world. I love the bayous of Louisiana...even the musty, damp smell. Another reason this book is so special is the heroine's name is taken from one of my daughters' names. Writing the book was like going home for me.

Thanks, Colleen, Kristin, DiAnn and Denise for letting me blog! Each of you ladies are an inspiration to me, not only in writing, but also in friendship and love. Y'all ROCK!
Kristin  
posted at 2:01 AM  
  Comments (16)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
16 Comments:
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I love Steeple Hill and buy all their books!! So I'll be watching next fall for your debut! Can't wait!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I gotta say, that was one of the highlights of my life. LOL What I want to know is why Kelly didn't spit that out FIRST instead of chitchatting. LOL

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

So fun reading about your "call," Robin!!! We're THRILLED for you and can't wait to read the book!!!! WHOOHOOOOO!!!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Robin,
You rock, too, girl! I'm so excited for you! Ditto on what Diann said--"Whoohooooo!!!"

Abundant blessings,
Jenny Cary

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

Your story gives me hope, Robin! Thanks for sharing it here and huge congrats!

Katy McKenna www.fallible.com

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I heard this on the ACFW loop and was thrilled for you, Robin!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Robin, well deserved! Proof hard work and diligence pays off.

Can't wait to see the book with your name on it!

Hugs, Rachel

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, all....oh, and C, the reason she didn't spit that out first was she was too polite to interrupt! LOL You know how I am on the phone--Chatty Cathy! LOL

But it IS exciting! All of it, even the hard parts. Which I went and had my PR pixs taken today...pick them up on Tuesday. He has to do some, uh, touchups (meaning, smooth the wrinkles, etc) LOL Can't wait to see them!

But you know, I don't think I could have endured and gotten to the point where I got the call had it not been for ACFW. What amazing support, encouragement, and opportunity to learn.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

Robin,
It's just so exciting to read about your journey. I love your spirit and enthusiasm.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

Yay Robin! I can't wait to get a copy!!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger ~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Robin, you know I am THRILLED for you, girl! Go get 'em!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I get teary-eyed every time I read Robin's story. But if you knew RObin, you'd know why this lady deserves this more than most.

I couldn't be happier even if ti were for me. Well ... I might be a teeny bit happier - but not much. ;)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Heather said...

CONGRATS! So excited for you . . .can't wait to read it.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Cecelia Dowdy said...

Girl, I've been there and done that! You rock and congrats on your sale. My instincts tell me that you'll go far! :-)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Heather Diane Tipton said...

LOLRobin, I'm glad Colleen gave you that 15 minutes to call us before she announced it to the loop. Because you KNOW I would have been totally upset if I read it on the loop first! LOL

So excited for you Robin and can't wait to hold your book in my hand!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Hey, I miss some good stuff when I get behind on reading blogs. :) Robin, it was great to hear the story behind the story. Can't wait to read your book! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz