Girls Write Out
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
So I watched Oprah last week where she had Men's Health magazine on and they conferred that San Jose (Silicon Valley) was the number one place to meet single men over 35 in the country. Okay, I think I need to send them What a Girl Wants. Because yes, it's true the ratios are good here. There are LOTS of single men, but as I said in my book, there's single for a season and single for a reason.

And there are lots of reasons here. Now this is not a rant on engineers. I love engineers, married an engineer. I have friends who are engineers and married to more engineers. They're brainy, which I find incredibly sexy. They're problem solvers and into making our lives easier. But yeah, dating them is sort of like a continuous seventh grade dance, so if you're planning to come to the dating capital of the country, I have a few suggestions.

It's not fair that there are women out there saying, I LIVE IN THE BEST PLACE TO MEET SINGLE MEN? What? Huh? Girls, I'm here to tell you, it's not you. And I'm going to give you tips. Oprah said go to Home Depot. A man in Home Depot here doesn't make enough to live here. You need to go to FRY's -- and don't hang out in the computer section, get over to the parts and wires place where people have to create their OWN widgets. Better yet? Go to Best Buy at 10 a.m. when a new video game comes out. There are TONS of them. But that begs the question, do I want to meet a man who has the same hobby as your average twelve year old? Hmmm.

Of course, the biggest trouble with meeting a man in Silicon Valley is getting their attention. Engineers are very compartmentalized. When they're working, they're working. I think you might walk past them naked and they might ask if you knew when the new iPhone came out. Right now I'm in Mt. View. Google provides free wireless Internet for the whole city. Here's my pick up lines, if you're in need. Go ahead, they're free for the taking. LOL But don't hold me responsible. "Hey, do you have a Gmail account?" "How much RAM do I need to run this?" (Hold up a video game like Vanna White while asking!) "Are you Mac or PC?" Oh and here's a favorite. "That's a great laptop, what's that thing running?"
Kristin  
posted at 11:52 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

LOL. Ashley's coming back! I can tell! I just told one of my friends yesterday how wonderful and hilarious your books are :)

What is that appeal that smart men have? I mean, even if they're not the hottest thing to grace your eye all is improved when you find out that they're smart. *shrug*

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

LOL. Great post.

Last night I read WHAT A GIRL WANTS. (Ok, I read fast. But I also couldn't put it down.) I laughed all the way through it and then had to give a FULL plot summary to my daughter and husband (I had to do the same for SHE'S ALL THAT. Sheesh! If they're so interested, why don't they just READ the books themselves?!).

I got married at 33 and spent 12+ years in various singles groups with "seasons" and reasons." Yep. You got it right--in the books and in this post! LOL You crack me up!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

See, further proof that California is another country. LOL

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

LOL! Great post. LOVE the pickup lines!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

that was one funny post. i live in san jose, and am dating a computer engineer and i think every time we hang out the topic of the iphone comes up... plus, the whole compartmentalizing deal - so true, during the week, he is so focused on work, i sort of have to remind him that i am even here!! thanks for laughs kristen!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

My father-in-law was an electrical engineer. While he and my MIL were courting, they did a bit of romantic star-gazing one night. She was sure the moon had him in the mood and that he was about to kiss her when he blurted out something about Sputnik being up there!

She married him anway. I married their son, a physics nerd with an IQ of I-can't-count-that-far. Our son started out majoring in engineering physics (whatever the heck THAT means...) before switching to linguistics. I've never understood a word he says.

But what do my MIL, my DIL, and I have in common? We held out for the sexy engineering types. None of us has a single regret, either!!!

Katy www.fallible.com

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I agree, do we really want a man that will stand in line on game release day?
Home Depot and Lowes have a lot of male customers but in those stores they are like engineers -- in the zone and oblivious to females. I have a friend that swears by Publix grocery store at around 6:30 in the evening. She claims her cup runneth over at that time of day.......

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Elaina M. Avalos said...

You crack me up, Kristin. I work in a town that is 68% men. I work on a Marine base with 52,000 Marines/Sailors. The average age? 23. I'm SO not 23. However, I don't think I'll be moving to the Silicon Valley anytime soon. I like smart too. But engineers freak me out a little. ;)

Thanks for the laugh! And yes Colleen, CA is a different country. I always miss home when I read Kristin's posts. :)

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Professor Howdy said...

Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Your comments cracked me up! Yes, I have had a few Ashley moments lately. I have to admit. I was behind a SUV today and it has TERRAPASS as a bumper sticker. For those of you not in weirdo California, this is when you give money to an environmentalist group to "erase your carbon footprint", hence you can drive your gas guzzling SUV and not feel guilty. Really, it just made me crack up. I drive my minivan guilt free. With four kids, I'm about as economical as you get. Better than a single person in their Prius. LOL

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Kris, you almost had me packing for San Jose, but I think I'll stay here and single.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz