Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I MUST BE CRAZY
You know you've been too writing too much when you crave a new house project. I just started The LIghtkeeper's Bride a couple of weeks ago, but I've been eyeing the wallpaper in the living room and it's been all I can do not to tear into it. We have a Victorian house that we've restored (it was actually in last October's issue of Victorian Homes!) and we have period wallpaper in every room that really suits the house. However, most people hate wallpaper and I think if we ever want to sell it, we need to bite the bullet and paint instead.

I know I have to at least get this book to 15,000 words first. That's the magic number where it all starts falling into place so it's been a good motivator to keep butt in chair and not break out the ladder. LOL Plus our son is painting his house and we've been spending weekends there. But those walls keep nagging at me. And I think we're going to tear down the wall between the kitchen and dining rooms to open it up. But which project to start first? And just how far should we go? Many of the older homes I see in the shows have painted woodwork and it would be sacrilege to paint this beautiful oak woodwork so I've been studying up on what colors to use and it appears a warm undertone works better with the wood tones. So that should be all right if I find the right shades. We watch HGTV obsessively and I really like the updating some homeowners have done to old houses. Warm mochas on the walls, simple Craftsman style furniture.

i think I'm obsessing about this because my heroine for The Lightkeeper's Bride could have lived in this house when it was new. Isn't that a fun thought? Any of you have older homes with beautiful woodwork? Or have you seen some and could recommend what you like? I just have this feeling we're going to need to strip this paper and paint. I could be wrong. What's your opinion?

Labels: , , , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 6:25 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Is there a link to the Victorian Homes magazine so we can see what it looks like currently? :)
I'm all for stripping wallpaper and doing colors. DO NOT PAINT THE WOODWORK. If the woodwork was terribly scarred, then fine, but if it's in good condition you'll give me a stroke if you paint it. If you have high ceilings and larger Victorian rooms, I've seen bolder colors look amazing with coupled with antiques and older-style furniture. A deep burgandy, for example, or even a golden yellow (like in a parlor or sunny room) look beautiferous!!!

Of course, I live in a tiny little cottage so I drool over any house that is old and Victorian :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Strip the wallpaper, people hate it and it drastically diminishes your buying pool. I had to paint my red wall, taupe. Sigh, but the house did sell in the first two weeks, so I guess it was worth it.

I see they're painting most woodwork now (white). I actually prefer that, but I know it's painful to wood people. Transport your bathtub to me, k?

And I always want to rip something down when I should be writing. It's a way of escaping what I have to do. LOL

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I stripped all the wallpaper from our house when we bought it. It was the first thing we and the realtor said when we bought. "Well, we'll have to strip a lot of wallpaper" We got really good at taking it down. I always thought of all of the previous owners money that we were throwing away. :0/

And I actually love wood painted white. I know...gasp...it's considered a sin to most but I love the look. :0/

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Okay, wallpaper it is. I just can't paint the woodwork. It has all this detail in it and it's six inch wide red oak. I can't be responsible for destroying it that way.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Edna said...

I would hate to have to strip off wall paper we tried it once outselves, no experts and we made a mess had to put up new all board.

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz