Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 07, 2011

When I first started writing, some of the early feedback I received was that my dialogue was very good. My conversations seemed real and they did not read as one would expect. They were different.

I also heard that I did not create enough conflict to keep a story going.

In the end, (or the middle as this may be -- I hope) my strength turned out to be my voice. I have a strong storytelling voice with a bent towards humor.

Finding your own strength is writing is a good thing to know. What separates you from the pack? What makes a (INSERT NAME HERE) book? Finding your strength and working that to its fullest potential can be what makes you special in this business. Look at Nicholas Sparks. His specialty is NOT voice. He tells his story pretty straight-forwardly. But he's got that gut emotional appeal that connects him to his readers in a way that makes his books addictive.

You don't have to be the best writer in the world to find your place. There are certainly GREAT writers who can't tell a story to get through a paragraph. Look over your writing. What's your strength?

1. Voice?
2. Conflict?
3. Characters?
4. Dialogue?
5. Exciting individual scenes?
6. Plot?
7. Gut Emotional Appeal?
8. Romance Scenes?
9. Action Scenes?
10. Historical Information?
11. Setting?
12. Theme?
13. Something else?

Ask yourself where you fit in -- really work up your strengths and build where you're weak. This is not rocket science, but knowing where YOU as a writer fit into the marketplace can really help hone your proposals and get your book to its rightful audience.

Labels: , ,

Kristin  
posted at 12:57 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

Well said and I'm sure it is very good advice, but I imagine it is much easier said than done. I see many people who think they are playing their strengths but aren't. One of my biggest fears is that I am just as delusional.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

True, Timothy. You almost have to hear it from other readers/editors etc. We're too close to our own work to define our strengths.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I think it is something you have to hear from others. I thought I had a lot of conflict in fact. Turns out, I was a conflict wimp. LOL

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Embrace said...

Like Timothy said, "ahh, that sounds so easy, why haven't I done that yet?"
I am lacking the outside perspective I guess. I need to hear from others what makes my books mine. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Jodi, that's the hard part. Worrying that someone will call your baby ugly, but I don't care who you are, you need that feedback, and you have SOMETHING to offer as a writer. So gather your courage!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Embrace said...

Thanks Kristin I needed to hear that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz