Girls Write Out
Monday, March 17, 2014

Hubby and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage this month. I guess, because of that, there's been a little reflecting going on.

So several weeks ago my husband asks me a question. "What do women want out of marriage? I mean, if you had to narrow it down to one thing, what would it be?"

I took about ten seconds before answering. "For myself, if I had to narrow it down, I'd say I want to be cherished."

The conversation was dropped for the time being. Advance four weeks, to yesterday. (The anniversary's drawing closer, don't you know.) My husband brings up my answer as if we'd never dropped the subject.

"Cherished. What does that even mean?"

In all fairness, I see how my answer could seem ambiguous. So I told him I'd make a list. Making lists is kind of my thing. And lists about what he can do to make me happy--requested by him? Where's the pen and paper?

But being a visual sort, I decided my list needed prettying up. The graphic above is the result. Hubby looked it over and didn't say much, but 2 of the items have been checked off in the last 24 hours. Just saying.

It occurred to me that my list might be helpful for others, so I'm posting it. Feel free to share it if you'd like. Every woman's list might vary, but I'm pretty sure no woman would complain if her man does any of these things.

Obviously no guy is going to do all these things all the time. Hey, I've been married 25 years--I'm firmly grounded in realism. :-) However, a generous sprinkling of actions like these will go a long way toward making any woman feel cherished.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 8:54 AM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Carla said...

LOVE IT ! Every women loves to be cherished : )

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Agreed, Carla!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I think almost all women want to be cherished....and almost all men would wonder what that means! I love this list! Personally, I would take off send flowers & add give her a book! ;)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I like the way you think, Becky!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I like the way you think, Becky!

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great list! I'll definitely be sharing this! :)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Love this!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Melanie Backus said...

Denise, I love your "Cherished" list. I believe any woman would love those things from their husband. I think it is wonderful that your husband gave thought to what you wanted from him. It seems these days, long marriages are not the norm but I would venture to say that if couples took the time to think of each other like you two have, that stat would change. My husband and I will celebrate our thirty-ninth anniversary this year.

mauback55 at gmail dot com

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Congrats, Melanie! You're absolutely right. Meeting each other's needs is critical.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I showed my husband your list. It's not the first time the word 'Cherish' has come up in our conversations over the last 21 years. Being a bilingual couple, he's asked a few times how to translate Cherish into Spanish (Since Spanish is his first language.) There's not a particular word that suffices for the translation but your list summed it up better than I could have.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Interesting about Spanish, Bonnie. I have often lamented that there's only one word for "love" in english. The same word shouldn't be used for "I love these socks" that's used for "I love you". LOL

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Interesting about Spanish, Bonnie. I have often lamented that there's only one word for "love" in english. The same word shouldn't be used for "I love these socks" that's used for "I love you". LOL

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Liz Flaherty said...

I love this. I've been married 43 years and wouldn't change this list a bit.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

I'm happy to say my husband does most of these things already. He doesn't draw me a bath but he did show me how to work the shower in the hall bath while the main bath is out of commission. :-) I'm laughing because I'll bet if I asked him to draw me a bath, he'd ask for pen and paper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz