Girls Write Out
Tuesday, January 09, 2007

MEET MISS BETTY

I gave my husband a GPS unit for Christmas, but really, I gave it to myself. We decided to give it a whirl on the trip to Kansas City to brainstorm with friends Deb Raney, Nancy Moser, Hannah Alexander (Mel & Cheryl Hodde), Till Fell, Judy Miller, and Steph Whitson and her husband (Dan and Steph Higgins).

We thought we might have an issue or two along the trip. We had no idea the trouble would start right here. We confused her first by turning her on when we were already part way out of town. She was determined to make us do a U-turn. Dave was just as determined not to. Then she wanted us to go down 31 to Indianapolis, which takes 1/2 hour longer, as any self respecting Wabashonian knows.

I watched the war of the wills play out in front of me, but I had no doubt who would win. Dave of course. LOL Even when we got to Indianapolis, Betty was determined to route us around on 465 instead of I-70. But once we got through our own fair state, Betty performed without a hitch.

And she found me coffee! That made her worth every penny. There's this neat little POI thing, Points of Interest, and you can tell Betty what you're looking for and she routes you to the nearest one. We even found her electronic voice rather comforting.

What I didn't find comforting were the changes this trip to Starbucks. Has anyone else noticed they've cut the number of shots they put in drinks? A venti peppermint mocha used to have 3 shots in it. I always added one to make it four. Now I have to pay for TWO. My peppermint mocha cost me nearly six dollars! And they've started giving me heartburn and a headache. Did they change their chocolate already? I'm all for the no trans fats, but with the reaction I had to the mocha (tried a regular mocha too), I'm wondering what other evil chemical has taken its place!

I'm home now and back to work. Had a great time with my buds, and we didn't try to make Deb slash any paintings this time around. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 6:45 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you beautiful people at my buddy Nancy's, and me sitting at my place, ten minutes away! I'll bet you had a great time, as always. I think that type of brainstorming session sounds SO valuable.

Katy McKenna www.fallible.com

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh Katy, are you in Kansas City? I suppose I might have known that once and forgotten!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

And Deb APPRECIATES that you didn't make her slash any painting! LOL! It really was a great retreat. I missed out on the first night of brainstorming due but that second day was worth the 5-hour round trip drive! And yes, Katy, brainstorming the way we do it (much like at the ACFW Early Bird session, actually) is invaluable. I came home (to the wonderful notes Scribe Colleen kept for each author) and went to town on my WIP. Thanks again, Colleen!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Mocha love, you, you'd probably love Arby's mocha milkshake. Oh, man, those things are good.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

"Mocha lover", I meant. Typo.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

What a minute. Wait a minute. He gave you a diamond necklace and you gave him a GPS system so you didn't have to backseat drive? Um, I think someone deserves a free trip to Lowe's for the gift of his choice.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

Kristin's right. Do we see a gift card coming? :)

Sounds fun, Colleen. My sister and I are thinking of doing some brainstorm sessions this fall for a special project we're working on. As long as we have mochas we'll be good without the GPS.

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

A GPS that finds you coffee? Priceless.
Camy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz