Girls Write Out
Thursday, April 05, 2007



Okay, so my husband is on spring break. We decide to take a few days off and travel to Amish country where he can relax and I can finish my book before the May 1 deadline.

We head for the peaceful world of quilts, candles, custom-crafted furniture, and home-style Amish cooking. A place where people go to get away from the hectic life of the “real world.”

Second day here, hubby goes into town and I take a break from my writing to go for a walk. I head outside in time to see white sheets of paper flying everywhere in the wind. A short distance away a woman (NOT Amish) is gathering them, so I start helping her. Partway through my mission, I look over and notice that she’s not picking them up all that fast, and I wonder why she wouldn’t be a bit more frantic about it. I shrug it off as her feeling overwhelmed, because there are so many sheets set free and flying about. It makes me more determined to help.

So by the time I gather a hefty stack, I look up again and search for the woman so I can leave them with her. But I don’t see her. Anywhere. I walk around a while and still can’t find her. Finally, I give up and take the stack into the front desk of the hotel lobby just in case someone comes looking for them.

Later that night, a man approaches me as my husband and I head out for dinner. He explains the lobby personnel told him I had collected all those papers. He wants to know what the lady looked like and did I see her car, etc. Long story short, he was the owner of an RV manufacturing plant and someone had stolen proprietary information and somehow that information ended up scattered all over the hotel lawn for the world to see!

I seem to have a knack for winding up in the middle of “something”—even in the heart of Amishland! Please tell me there are others out there with that same knack!
Diann Hunt  
posted at 9:10 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 9:52 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

I can relate...one time I saw a woman being chased down Main
St. by some crazed man at 2 a.m. and I decided to help her. I had to knock the guy off the side of the car as we drove away. She told me where she wasnted to be dropped off and I found myself in a crack house with a bunch of paranoid, stoned to the teeth gang bangers...the night only got worse...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

ROFLOL! Since you don't write suspense, you have to get smack into the middle of it!

If it had been Colleen, she would have the plot outline for her next novel.

Actually, I'd love to visit Amish country. I have an Amish quilt that my dh bought for me a few years ago. I absolutely love it. I'll have to take a photo of it an post it on my blog.

Right after I post the story of my puppy and the AC grate.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Okay, that's scary, Allen!

I took a strange girl (strange as in I didn't know her, and strange as in "different") home from an event once, she talked to herself the entire way there (she'd answer herself before I could get a word in edgewise--probably figured she was better company, I don't know), she made me drop her off a block from her home, and she then sent me sticks of gum in the mail.

Freaked me out a little. But the gum was good.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

You realize this would make a great suspense, don't you? LOL

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Diann, I seriously think God's leading you to write suspense. LOL, gum in the mail, too funny.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Julie! I leave the suspense to Colleen. My twisted brain takes those events and turns them into Lucille Ball experiences--that's usually what they are for me, anyway. I mean, who else gets caught up in espionage in Amishland? LOL!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Ack! Must quit reading this blog at work. I am not-so-silently chuckling and trying so hard to hold it in. That's a fabulous story!

Ooh! I have one! We always vacationed in Hilton Head when I was younger (huge family trips, 17 people in one beach house!!) and one night some extra relatives came to stay and Mom and I took the couches so they could have our room. For SOME reason the front door was unlocked and at 3 AM a teenaged guy walked in the door, paranoid that the cops were chasing him (they weren't). He was high and demanded to be let out the back door. We finally got the cops over and they found him passed out right by the lagoon out back of the property. He could have easily been alligator meat.

Quite a bit of excitement for a 10 year old.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger eileen said...

What do you suppose you'd find stitched inside a quilt? LOL Too funny. Hope you're getting some relaxation during this.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You were brave to chew the gum Diann.
:)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Liz H. said...

Are you guys in Lancaster, PA or one of the other place there are Amish? I love Lancaster so much, it's actually where I live when I'm not at school. Although I can't say I've gotten myself into anything down there though were suspicious of our nieghbors one time and had to call the cops. Anyway, enjoy Amish country, it's a great setting for a book too.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Liz--no, we were not in Pennsylvania. Indiana Amish country. :-) It's beautiful and we love to go visit there!


HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!!!!!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Ha! Ha! You crack me up! Intrigue in Indiana Amish country!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz