Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 16, 2008


10 Things You Probably Didn't Really Want to Know About Authors Kristin was up for a Christy in this picture and though she didn't win, she should have! She started the craze here in the States and she is the best! We just spent four days with a bunch of authors and I thought you might not know these important facts:

1. We are perpetually insecure. One single bad review throws us into a tizzy even when we have ten that are glowing.
2. Nearly every writer I know has gone through rough times. I think it's God giving us the material we need to torture our characters.
3. Authors love to be around other authors who are just as twisted. It's the only way we can assure ourselves we're normal.
4. Don't mess with an author and her coffee. We are the biggest coffee drinkers I know. Nearly every author had a cup of coffee in their hands every morning. And we all complained about the coffee at our hotel even though the hotel itself and the service was fabulous. Quite a few of us even braved the heat and humidity in Orlando to find decent coffee.
5. Some authors are really good "baby whisperers" as Cara Putman put it about Karen Ball. I got some practice being a grandma myself and was pretty darn good at getting Rebecca to go to sleep.
6. Authors are extraordinarily giving people. I saw many people going out of their way to listen, to pray, to be kind to one another.
7. Writers talk when they get together. A lot. There is a dull roar going on all the time. I think it's from all that alone time. We hang out in the lobby and never seem to want to go to bed.
8. Writers are not afraid of making fools of themselves. One night we acted out the covers of our books. You should have seen some of the dumb things we did. But my lips are sealed. Denise's The Convenient Groom and Diann's For Better or For Worse brought some particularly hilarious pictures. For chocolate, I might be bribed to share some of those.
9. Not all writers are introverts. We divided up by introvert/extrovert for our fun night and we were pretty evenly divided.
10. Macs are making more and more of an inroad among us. I'm one of the evangelists for them. LOL

And I'll warn you: DON'T RIDE THE I-TROLLEY IN ORLANDO!!! Dave and I had no idea how to do it. We got on with Kristin to go get coffee. We had no idea you had to pull a cord for a stop. I assumed they'd stop at every bus stop. Um, no. We went flying by the Starbucks stop and ended up having to ride the thing all the way to the end. Coming back, we were in the back and CRAMMED full of people and the thing's air conditioning wasn't working well. We arrived to our hotel dripping and exhausted. It takes someone younger than me to want to ride it again. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 5:43 AM  
  Comments (19)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
19 Comments:
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I do have to know what book title you acted out. How would you do "Abomination" or "Anathema"? That had to be tricky!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

THey all acted out Anathema. Most had the group either making a cross with their fingers or standing with their back to someone they were avoiding. LOL

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger T. Forkner said...

Oh darn. I'm in DC and on a borrowed laptop, so I can't see the picture of Kristin!

So, #1 never changes? haha. I had hopes... :)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Sending chocolate.
Go ahead and show the pictures now. :)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

It NEVER changes, Tina. Doggone it. Got a copy of Ruby Among Us in the mail today!

Suzanne, I'll post those pics just as soon as I get them. My team didn't use my camera and I've asked for copies from Terri.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Great pictures, C! Sure would have loved to seen those matching cover attempts!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Gracie said...

Ditto to Diann's post! I'd love to see ya'll acting out as each other's characters. So glad that you guys had a great time -- and congratulations to Kristin. Even though she didn't win, at least she was a finalist for the Christy.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Oye... hilarious. Thank you for the giggle.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I'll try to get those pics posted a little later in the week when I get them. They are hilarious!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Getting older has its advantages, we can afford a CAB! That trolley ride was too close to humanity for my liking. Reality TV is more removed! I dont' feel I had a great time until my brain kicked in on Saturday, then I was THERE. What a great weekend! WOOOHOO

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Great post and so true!

Beyond the Night had some funny "acted out" pictures, too, and your Anathema!

Isn't Jordie so cute! Wow. I just want to squeeze her.

The picture of the three of you is so good.

Love, Rachel

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Ausjenny said...

first question what are Macs?

sounds like a great time. Yes im happy to send chocolate only it may melt before it arrives.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

A Mac is an Apple computer. LOL

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Jordie is a darling! I could just eat her up. LOL She loooves Mr. Dave.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Story and Logic Media Group said...

I'm glad to hear you had a great time. =)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Karla Akins said...

I can hardly wait to grow up and be part of the fun. :-)

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Cara Putman said...

Rebecca's been looking for her Grandma Colleen. I tell her to hang on for a quick visit at ACFW -- oh and there's the booksigning in Cincinnati!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Annie said...

ok, so here's the funny thing... after i've read all the posts from the conference in orlando, I kept thinking that you're glad you weren't there last July (this exact week, actually), with 35,000 high school students at the Lutheran Church-missouri synod's National Youth Gathering! I took my high schoolers there last year and it was ridiculously humid, plus, the I Trolley is so CONFUSING! LOL. I agree with you there. Plus, the no coffee thing... completely true. And that convention center?? GINORMOUS. I don't know if you guys used that venue or one of the hotels, but still... and the Peabody. HILARIOUS. beautiful hotel, but every time teh ducks would presetn themselves, my kids HAD to watch. It was so funny! I'm glad that you guys had such a wonderful time! I wish I could have been there!! Sounds like so much fun!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Courtney Walsh said...

Oh my goodness - I love your list! I was just thinking how it can be a little lonely doing work from home with no adults in sight. At the same time, it's the way I like it... but it makes sense I am super chatty when I get away!!

I would've hunted down the good coffee too! :) In spite of the sweat!! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz