Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I started writing a YA (young adult) novel and with this...an epiphany. I am eternally 12 years old. It's not really a big stretch. Oh my eyes and back don't know it, and naturally, I do my best to maintain an adult appearance. Things like driving a minivan, making dinner every night, all these little people calling me, Mom. But really, nothing's changed. I am still an "otter", always looking for the next reason to laugh and play.

Certainly, I have a weird adult side that loves good literature and art house movies, and great espresso, but when I see my son come home from a day at Malibu Grand Prix, where he rode the bumper boats, drove a go-kart, and played mini-golf...the memories come flooding in and I want to go. I remember when it was pristine and new! It was THE hangout. Back when "Frogger" was the game. And the love of my life drove a Ford Fairlane -- and yes, it was laughable back then, too. We snickered that it was no wonder he wanted to get into the Go-Karts, he had to get out of the Fairlane!

My kids have my same warped sense of humor. Which doesn't help matters, as far as me ever growing up. Before we watched "Wipeout", we roared at "MXC" the Japanese version. My son Trey is just like me, he cannot help what rolls off his tongue. He's always in trouble for it, too. Which as a parent should concern me. I should have a very serious talk with him, and I totally would if I didn't punch my hand to the sky and say, "You go, Trey!" Until his father looks at me. Just like my dad used to (as if he wasn't the same way.) He's an "A" student though, much smarter than me, though also like me, he's on a first-name basis with his principal of a 1500 kid school.

So anyway, living in "Hardship: The Musical" has been beyond hard for me! It's been downright torture. Now I know that everyone goes through stuff, and there are ups and downs, blah, blah, blah. I don't care about any of that. I am so done with being an adult!!! My little Fiona (ten pound bundle of love) grabs something as soon as I come out of the garage. She's ready to play, so she'll grab a little toy, look up at me with it in her mouth and I'll chase her all over the backyard in circles. She is so fast! She gets her growl on and we squeal at one another until I'm out of breath and can't do it anymore. Well, the road is about 50 feet or so below the backyard, and there were these two mountain bikers staring at me baby-talking to my doggie like I was crazy. Me! I'm not crazy, I'm 12! And you just wish you were able to be uninhibited like me. And incidentally, seeing grown men in racing bike shorts with matching emblem-wild clinging shirts really isn't any different from when you were twelve. Come on, tell the truth, guys. You don't really need to dress like you're in the Olympic Ironman, am I right?
Kristin  
posted at 2:58 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Rachel Overton said...

My husband has a theory about all that. See, we'd all like to act like the inner child who still exists, but if we did, they'd lock us up! Not that he worries about that...much. No, I birthed one child but I have three--the kid, the dog, and the husband.

Why do I have to be the adult? :-)

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger T. Forkner said...

Hilarious. I want to be a kid again too.

My husband is a biker and I totally agree with your comment about the outfits. LOL. But he does look cute.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

My kids like to tell me "Who's raising who, Mom?" I'm a HUGE kid, and I've been told I have the heart of a child--innocent and trusting in Jesus--and the playfulness to go with it:-)

Whether that's true or not, I'll never know. But I do have fun playing around with my teens...I LOVE it when I can make them roll their eyes...or say "Mo-om" with two syllables!

And what's with the Speedos?? Hel-LO! Enough already!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Rachel, you don't have to be an adult. We surround ourselves with them so we can be eternal kids. Usually, it's the husband, that's all. LOL

Tina, they do look good in the bike outfits, but I have to say, it's funny to think about them getting into it, like their boy scout uniform. There's intention there. LOL

Deena, the kids say that. But who drives, feeds and clothes them? The fact is, we do have to be adults, so we can be childish once in a while. Don't you think?

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

I've never had trouble channeling my "inner otter."

A few years ago my daughters and I went rafting on the Colorado River. When the guide pointed to a 30 foot cliff and asked if anyone wanted to leap off, I was first in line. Of course daughter # 2 followed me all the way up, trying to dissuade me from jumping. She's so like her father, bless her heart.

But it looked like fun, and why not? I saw other people doing it and it didn't look like it would hurt me, so I went for it.

And another frequent pleasure has been playing with my little dog. Except now that she's 15, it seems I'm more playful than she is. The poor old girl! (Okay, I'm not even going to say who I'm referring to as old girl--you can interpret that any way you want.)

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I'm so there, K. We otters live in our own little worlds, don't we? Everything is such fun! My husband tells me I make a party out of everything (he said that when I coated my half cup of mocha with a half cup of whipped cream.) :-)

Hey, works for me!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I wonder if that's why we otters have more "incidents". You think, Di? Are we the middle-aged equivalent of teenage boys? Hmmm. Something to ponder. I cleaned all day. My inner otter needs to giggle!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Just go for it!
Have those 'childish' moments!
You're only as old as you think you are!!

I drag my youngest sister along when I need a crazy moment. Or my sisterchick, Cathy. Our latest thing was trying out all the chairs at Ikea, taking a photo of us sitting in them and giving each one a rating. That was the best day I've had for a while.

If you're kids are having fun, join them. That's what my Mum and Grandfather used to do. My Grandfather would have us laughing so hard we couldn't breathe with the antics he got up to ( he is now with the Lord). I don't have kids, but I help out at the kids ministry at church, and that gives me a break from the adult world too.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Beth, I LOVE the IKEA idea! I have to try that one. My kids would even enjoy that. They hate Ikea. I swore I'd never go in one after my first time, but there's something to it. The call of the cheap fix, I suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz