Girls Write Out
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
There is music in my soul today. I'm sitting here staring out across the diamonds on the lake, listening to the sounds coming through the open door. Somewhere, a maintenance man is using a saw. Somewhere, eagles call. The whisper of tiny waves of water kissing the shore drift up to me. The refrigerator motor hums quietly. But the music that fills me comes from the rich tones of the wind chime out on the deck. If I choose, I can block out all other sounds but that, and it thrills me. Yes, the notes are chaotic, and I never know which chime will reach my ears next, but each chime has such a beauty all its own.

I compare that to my life. Yes, there are distractions if I allow myself to be distracted. The cat wants in, then wants out, then wants in, then out, in, out.....AUGH! The phone rings, someone knocks at the door, my back hurts, my body aches, I'm cold, I'm hot...and on and on. But there are chimes of chaotic perfection as I answer God's calling and sit down and write. Yes, the thoughts that come can be confusing, and I never know which idea will approach me next, and often I don't realize what my characters are going to do next--and yet during these times of creativity, the music in my soul becomes most beautiful. I'm doing what I was made to do, and I am at peace in this time as I am at no other.

What about you? What special calling brings your soul peace, and what are the distractions that keep you from listening? Where does your own perfect music come from?
Hannah Alexander  
posted at 1:00 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

The sound of the surf is my favorite sound on earth. Ahh, love it!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger jel said...

being out in the woods with my camera in my hands, listening to a hawk calling out, and watching the clouds roll by, brings me that peace. :)

being in town with all the loud manmade sounds, is distracting to me

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Rocking my sweet babes. Only problem is, they're almost too old for rocking! Waaah. ;)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

California landscape brings me peace. I can fly over this whole country, but when I see my beloved hills and that evergreen against the straw-colored grasses, I'm at peace. I love to be there in the hills with my headphones on, totally lost in my own world. What invades is the busy little schedules of my children and all the "to dos" on the daily lists, but I find that those moments of quiet are absolutely necessary for regeneration, so I don't feel guilty about them at all.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

California landscape brings me peace. I can fly over this whole country, but when I see my beloved hills and that evergreen against the straw-colored grasses, I'm at peace. I love to be there in the hills with my headphones on, totally lost in my own world. What invades is the busy little schedules of my children and all the "to dos" on the daily lists, but I find that those moments of quiet are absolutely necessary for regeneration, so I don't feel guilty about them at all.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I love to paint, but I'm no artist. I love to write, but I am unpublished. I love to sing, but am no soloist. Writing, art, and music make me happy and peaceful, though, so I keep doing them anyway. Reading does it for me, too.

I love to teach high schoolers English literature--which I do--but that's constant hard work and anything but peaceful!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'm a surf person, myself, having been born a mile from the ocean. I miss it living here in the Ozarks. I'm still a California girl deep down.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Singing a song that takes me to the feet of Jesus, a song that brings out the praise from the very center of my being. Singing in a church is wonderful, but I find singing all by myself, no one else home, and just singing for the sheer joy of it is what I love most.

I also love to sit outside and hear the birds chirp and the wind softly blow while I wait on my little dogs to finish what they are supposed to be doing! Today the sun was warm and I can almost forget there are more cold days ahead.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I sing a lot, too, during the day. It lifts my spirits when I'm down. I have a cat who likes to sing with me--she's the same one who wants in then out then in again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz