Girls Write Out
Saturday, January 09, 2010




What a couple of weeks! I am exhausted, and I just realized I've forgotten to eat. I'm so tired of life being go, go, go. I want to get off for awhile. Unfortunately, with four kids and a big electronics show in Vegas, I am not alone in my thoughts this week. In fact, both my son's friend's parents were at the show, so he was here with us.

In case you can't tell from the photo, I work in the living room. Which is a small, dismal place, but it's all this house can manage. I had a desk that you could close off and so it didn't look like a desk in an obvious place, and it was fine when I was in Saratoga and had a beautiful, sunshiney view of the city. But now, it felt like I was working in a cell and on solitary confinement. This house has wood ceilings, so it's a bit dark to begin with. We never really get direct sunlight in here and quite frankly, I wasn't getting anything done unless I went to the coffee shop.

Which, you know, works if you don't have to do things like coordinate kids' schedules, pay bills, etc., at the same desk. So with my last paycheck, I splurged and bought myself a corner desk from Pottery Barn. Yes, it looks stupid in here. No, I can't close it off to the world, but sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.

So today, I set up my new desk (which is why I'm late posting, the computer was off.) I feel incredible not having to stare into that dark box and I'm hoping my writing will reflect it. I have drawers!! Have you ever had to do that? Stop mid-project and organize yourself so that you can continue? I have to say, I think it was worth it. I put the desk together myself and made my teenagers help me lift the top on -- payback for pizza and the non-stop driving to soccer. Since I'm the only "stay at home" mom on the team, I find myself shuttling freshman boys all over the city. Which, is very helpful for the young adult novel I'm writing. I only look innocent...

Labels: , ,

Kristin  
posted at 12:32 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Congratulations on your new desk; I LOVE it! Before I even started reading your post I gave it a thorough looking over (is that even a phrase? I know, the grammar is awful! *smile*). Right away I had to work at not being jealous over the drawers on both sides. How cool is that?!?!?! And to have a real desk...now THAT'S the cat's pajamas! (Am I dating myself?) My desk...and granted I am not an author...is my laptop on top of a cooling pad on top of an old 3-ring binder on top of my feet. So you can see why I am struggling with jealousy. I am sure your writing (not to mention bill-paying and schedule-making) will be more prolific than ever.

P.S. I'm a new reader...came from Angie Hunt's blog.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Term Papers said...

Term papers

Wish You a Very Happy Mary Christmas.

Awesome technique, I really enjoyed reading this article.

Happy New Year, hope u had enjoy the whole occasion.

Term papers

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

It's like getting a makeover. Great before and after pictures! also would help mum to have eyes in the back of her head :)

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I don't know, K. I kinda like the photo of the cluttered roll-top with the Christmas tree book end. LOL

Glad you found yourself the space you needed to free up some mental energy. :-)

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I hope it works is all I can say. I've been there Ruthie, writing from bed on a binder with a laptop. This is much, much better. I'm a desktop girl for some reason. And welcome to our blog! We're happy to have you.

Yeah, D, I'm sure you would like the cluttered version. LOL I may not have eyes in the back of my head, but I have killer ears, and smell (so no one gets away with much here.)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

I love that desk. I've been eyeballing it for years. So glad you got a new workspace! It really does clear the clutter in the head.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Jennifer, I also eyed it for years. I just realized for what I'd pay for a piece of junk, the Pottery Barn stuff always lasts, and it was the perfect size. Usually corner desks are too big. This one is perfect~

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Abby said...

LOVE the new desk! I love how open and light it is! What can I say...I love anything Pottery Barn. I completely understand needing to organize before you can complete a project. That's how I am. When I started my new job, I felt like I couldn't concentrate on my new job until my office was organized and pretty! :)

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I can totally relate, Kristin. I often have to stop and reorganize. When the clutter encroaches on my keyboard, it's time to clean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz