Girls Write Out
Tuesday, April 27, 2010

ARMAGEDDON: WARNING SPOILER ALERT
Okay, I realize it's ridiculous for me to be afraid I'm about to spoil the movie for you because it came out TWELVE years ago! LOL And I just watched it for the first time this weekend. I can't believe I've never seen this because I love end of the world type disaster movies. Anyway, we stumbled across the movie and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. It's not that it was so fabulous that I can't stop thinking about it, but the THEME moved me.

As the movie progressed, it began to be clear to me that someone would not come back from that asteroid. And I just knew Harry wasn't going to be able to fulfill his promise to Gracie. I cried my eyes out when he punched that button as images of Gracie floated through his mind. And that's what has stayed with me. Jesus did that for me. I was on his mind. YOU were on his mind when he hung on the cross. And elements of his sacrifice permeate our lives as Christians as we give to others. The day we work in the nursery even though we're exhausted by the time we get out. The way we reach out to others and offer help and support when we can. That's not of us but of him.

I think that's why books and movies with a self-sacrifice theme resonate so well with us. What's your favorite book or movie that has a self-sacrifice in it? It doesn't even have to be of life but maybe a life lived of giving to others.

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:44 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Les Miserables is a favorite. The priest and then Jean Valjean over and over show self-sacrifice, forgiveness, and selflessness. A great movie--and a great book and play. :)

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Only 12 years behind the times, are you, C? LOL

I loved this movie too, because of the symbolism that you mentioned.

Great, now I'm humming..."cuz I'm leavin', on a jet plane..." lol

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh that's a good one, Pam!

I've been humming that song too, Robin. LOL

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I figure you mean fiction books or movies, but for me, there is no book or movie about self-sacrifice that is more moving than the Book of Hosea. So I find it odd that there are so few books inspired by the story of Hosea. There may be more, but I found five and some of those are about as close to the story as Pretty Woman, which has no similarity except for the man falling for a prostitute. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Hosea to continue to take care of Gomer, even when he knew she was sleeping with other men or to care for a child that may not have been his own. It would have been so easy to write her off completely, but instead he went and bought his own wife back. He didn’t die in the process, but he gave up so much for that woman.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Fugett Family said...

You know what I've noticed? I read Lonestar Homecoming for the second time he other day and it wasn't the main characters that stood out to me this time. Instead it was the main characters from the other two books (which by the way each time I read them I'm yelling at the characters to just tell each other why you got married, you've all done it haha!).

The way they bring new people into their circle and home so readily, or went to get Gracie clothes that night even though they have kids of their own and work hard and need sleep. But they put strangers ahead of themselves and opened up their hearts to them. Like letting them borrow a car or take a horse, clean their house or babysit. It just resonated so strongly with me the second time around, and made me want to try to do better about welcoming people.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Fugett Family said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Aw, thanks! I love those characters. LOL

I LOVE Redeeming Love! I've read it several times. So glad you mentioned it! Hosea had to have been quite a man, eh, Timothy?

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Barb said...

The Iron Giant.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Brittanie said...

This is one of my all time favorite movies. :)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I don't think I've heard of the Iron Giant, Barb. I have to check that out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz