Girls Write Out
Sunday, October 17, 2010

Last week a reader asked what one thing I wish I'd known in my early twenties. If she was hoping for profound wisdom from a seasoned woman, ahem, well, I hope she wasn't too disappointed.

I was only 20 when I got married--see the photo? Now there's a girl with a lot to learn--she just didn't know it yet. And she probably never would've asked an older woman, "Hey, what do you wish you had known?"

My reader's question did get me thinking. What DO I wish I'd known in my early adult years? I couldn't narrow it down to just one, but here are a few things that came to mind.

I wish I'd known . . .

* That my value comes from Christ, not from what I do, how I skinny I am, or who loves me.

* That I really can--and SHOULD--stand up for myself.

* That putting others on pedestals will eventually culminate in a big, painful fall. Only God deserves that place.

* That no one will care as much about my health as I do--so I'd better take charge!

* That being able to say "No" can be a healthy, wise, and loving thing to do.

Mostly I wish I'd just known who the heck I was--that would've taken care of much of the above. :-)

So what about you . . . what's your One Thing?



Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:21 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I wish I'd known how important friends are in life. And putting them first is often the best way to be a friend--but they must be true friends to put you first, as well.

And I wish I'd learned how to write that fast first draft...

What a beautiful picture, Denise!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I would agree with this one:

* That my value comes from Christ, not from what I do, how I skinny I am, or who loves me.

P.S. Wow! You look the same now as you did then! Beautiful picture! :)

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

You look the same in this photo as you do today! Just gorgeous.

I wish I had ignored the voices who said you "can't do that," "you're worthless," "you're trash." I wish I could've listened to the few who encouraged me, realizing God had sent them to do just that. I still struggle sometimes with the voices in my head telling me I'm not "good enough."

Sometimes we are so damaged by those around us, it takes years to realize our worth in Christ.

This is what is attractive about Girls Write Out--you don't put your readers down, or condescend or preach in this blog, or in your books, or in your lives. This was a really good post.

Life is too short to listen to the condescending, discouraging basement people who just want to pull you down with them.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Cheryl, I still haven't learned to write a fast first draft.

Thanks, Pam. And Crystal, we all have those voices. Some of them we even make up on our own and have to learn to replace them with wiser statements.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

You look gorgeous, D! And Kevin, what a hunk! :)

My one thing is that I wish I'd had more self confidence. That I believed sooner that God had given me some gifts to use.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I love what Pam wrote!! I would agree 100%!!!!

Beautiful picture, D!! You and Kevin make an awesome couple--then AND now!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz