Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
I'm not sure which of these entities is most dangerous, the bear or the bee, except I'm sure the bear will be worse once the bee stings him.

Something about this bear, however, made me think of myself at this time of year, when crazy-bad things seem to happen in direct opposition to the sentiment of Christmas--love, joy, peace. It seems this time of year seems to bring out the badness in a lot of angry people who don't want us to feel love, joy OR peace.

When unpeaceful things happen, I have discovered that I tend to talk to myself when I'm alone at home. This was brought to my attention with some embarrassment when I was walking around the house muttering to myself about what I needed to do next and how I needed to keep moving so I wouldn't ache so much and how I needed to herd the cats downstairs so they'd stop tripping me, and I realized Mel HAD NOT YET LEFT THE HOUSE! He'd heard me talking to myself! I'd thought he'd gone to the post office.

It's interesting that it wasn't until that very moment that I realized I was actually talking out LOUD to myself. Like a crazy person. And you know what really disturbs me? Mel didn't even notice because he talks to himself all the time, TOO!

Now, we talk to the cats all the time, and sometimes I rehearse the next words I'm going to write, or even vocally list things I need to get at the store so I'll remember them better. But I hadn't realized just how much I actually talked to myself. It's a little freaky.

I bet you this bear talks to himself. How could he not? He's alone most of the time, and doesn't everyone, even bears, want to hear the sound of someone's voice sometime? I'm alone a lot here at home. That's my excuse.

What's yours?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:28 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are not alone, Cheryl. My mother told me that talking to onesself is the sign of getting older. Now I'm getting older but I really don't see the correlation. I spend a lot of time by myself, too, but I only talk when something gets me excited or riled up. Then I get carried away and dance or take a swing to the air or some other dramatic action. By that time, I realize that I look like an idiot and I laugh at myself. Quiet ensues...until the next time I get excited!

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I would love to see that on videotape. How fun! Utube anybody? In my mid-fifties, I'd have thought I'd have a couple more decades before self talk set in. Sigh.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I'm part auditory learner, and an auditory learner must hear himself say it to learn it. So, I often talk to myself to "tell" myself things so I can absorb it. LOL, when I've had to edit something on a job, I am also part kinesthetic learner, so I'll lay the manuscript on the floor and walk and talk around it to make sure I am getting it all right.

I've been doing this since I was a little bitty girl. It wasn't until I became a teacher that I realized why I did it. LOL.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

We creative types are a strange bunch to the rest of the world, aren't we? And I love it! Of course, it's taken me this long to get to this point, and it does get lonely at times, when most others don't actually "get" us. But that's okay. There are enough who do.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger jel said...

yup you creative, types are a strange! but a good strange! :)


I don't talk to myself,
just my criters.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL jel, I have dozens of critters in the house, then. Oh, and I talk to my computer, too.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger jel said...

I guess I talk to my pc too, when I make a comment :)

does it count as talking to your self , if ya don't talk oud loud?
just in your head?

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Only if your lips move.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger jel said...

that's good to know! :)


I can rest better now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz