Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Before I talk about Lonestar Angel, I have to tell you what a great husband I have. He hates to paint. Now I don't understand this aversion because I think it's great fun to see a dramatic transformation. But he's good natured about it. In fact, I was going to help him paint the dining room on Saturday but he thought I needed a day off to go see Punky so he offered to do it by himself yesterday (I'm in deadline mode so working hard on Tidewater Inn.) He did it all by himself in this Lenox Tan color and it looks GREAT! What a guy!

Last night we met some friends from high school down at Twenty, a VERY nice restaurant in Wabash. It's part of the Charley Creek Inn boutiques. I just love it. In fact, I loved it so much I set the first scene of Lonestar Angel there. So in honor of my friends, I decided to share a bit of Lonestar Angel with you. It's available for pre-order now and will be shipping in early Oct. :)

Silverware tinkled in the dimly lit dining room of Twenty, an upscale restaurant located inside a classy boutique hotel. Eden Larson smiled over the top of her glass of water at Kent Huston. So intelligent and kind. His blue eyes were filled with intent tonight, and she had known what he had planned from the moment he suggested this place for dinner.

The piano player’s voice rose above the music as he sang “Waiting for a Girl Like You.” Kent had spoken that very phrase to her often in the year they’d been dating.

“Warm enough?” he asked.

“It’s a perfect night.”

“In every way,” he agreed. “I want to—”

“Kent.” She reached across the linen tablecloth and took his hand. “I need to tell you something.”

Before he asked her to marry him, he needed to know what baggage she carried. She’d intended to tell him before now—long before. But every time she tried, the pain closed her throat. She wasn’t ready to talk about it then, and maybe she wasn’t ready now, but he deserved to know.

Kent smiled. “Are you finally going to tell me what brought you to town? I don’t really care, Eden. I’m just thankful you’re here. I love you.”

She wetted her lips. It didn’t matter that he said he didn’t care. She owed it to him to tell him about her past and the demons that had driven her here to Wabash, Indiana. “Kent . . .” The sense of a presence behind her made her pause.

“Eden,” a man said.

Her heart seized in her chest. She’d recognize the deep timbre anywhere. It haunted her dreams and its accusing tones punctuated her nightmares. The deep vibrancy of that voice impressed a woman before she ever saw him.

She turned slowly in her upholstered chair and stared up at Clay Larson, who stood under the crystal chandelier that was the centerpiece of the intimate dining room. “Clay.”

How could he be here? He hadn’t changed a bit. His hair was still just as black and curly. His dark blue eyes were just as arresting. And her pulse galloped the way it had the first time she’d set eyes on him.

“I need to talk to you,” he said, stepping toward her. “It’s important.”

Oh, she should have told Kent before now. This was the wrong way for him to discover her past. He was beginning to frown as he glanced from her to Clay, whose broad shoulders and vibrant presence loomed over their table. It was going to come out now. All of it. Her pretend life vanished into mist. What had made her think she could escape the past?

“Who are you?” Kent said. “And what right do you have to interrupt a private conversation?”

“The right of a husband,” Clay said, his gaze holding her.

“Ex-husband,” she managed to say past the tightness of her throat.

“No, Eden. Husband.” He held up a sheaf of papers in his right hand.

“What are those?”

“I never signed the divorce papers,” he said quietly, just to her. “You’re still married to me.”

She heard Kent gasp in the silence as the song in the background came to an end. “That’s impossible.” She stared at Clay, unable to take in what he’d said. “We were divorced over five years ago.”

“You sent the papers over five years ago,” he corrected. “I just never signed them.”

She stared at the blank signature line he showed her. Why had she never followed up? Because she’d been too busy running. “But why?”

He shook his head. “I had my reasons. Right now, there’s something more important to discuss.”

“What could be more important?” she asked. Fingers clutched her arm and she turned her head and stared into Kent’s face. “I . . . I’m so sorry, Kent. I was just about to tell you.”

“Tell me that you’re married?” Kent’s eyes held confusion and hurt. “I don’t understand.”

She shook her head. “I’m divorced. Or at least I thought I was. I haven’t seen Clay in five years.”

Kent’s frown smoothed out. “I think you’d better leave,” he said to Clay. He scooted back in his chair.

She laid a hand on his arm. “Let me handle this,” she said. Anger was beginning to replace her stupor and shock. “Why are you here, Clay?”

“Would you like to step outside so we can continue this in private?” Clay asked, glancing around the room.

Heat flamed in her cheeks when she saw the interested stares from the two nearby tables. “Just go away. We can talk tomorrow.”

His firm lips flattened but he stayed where he was. “I’ve found Brianna, Eden. She’s alive.”

She struggled to breathe. She searched his face for the hint of a lie but saw only implacable certainty. She shook her head. “That’s impossible. She’s dead.”

Beside her, Kent jerked, his eyes wide. She half rose.

“I never believed it,” Clay said. “Her body was never found so I kept looking. She’s alive, Eden.”

She wanted to believe him, but it was impossible. Had his grief made him delusional? Clay was the most logical, practical man she’d ever met. But what he was saying couldn’t be true. Their daughter couldn't be alive. Could she?



Labels:

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:41 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I can't wait :)

Sally

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Good grief. Way to leave us hanging. Sigh. I can't wait to read it. :)

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Great set-up, Colleen. I look forward to reading it!

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is going to kill me! I have to pre-order!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger jel said...

will have to wait until it comes out the print is to small to read!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Colleen, I love Twenty, also! Went there for my birthday. Delish!

I think it's fabulous that you used it for a scene.

Always look forward to your books. :)

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Glad you've seen Twenty, Crystal. I just love it!

Sorry the excerpt came out so small, jel. I actually enlarged it before I posted but then it reverted back. Not sure why.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger jel said...

no worries !

Just something to look forward too :)

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

What a teaser! Can hardly wait! I just read another book set in Wabash, but back in the 20s... how fun!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

Now THAT's a can't-put-this-down beginning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz