Girls Write Out
Friday, March 30, 2012
For some reason, I look in the mirror lately--usually out of necessity--and

THIS

is what I see. Ugh. Now, at my age, it shouldn't matter so much, right? I mean, I've got my man, he seldom notices my hair unless it's tickling his nose when we're cuddling, and he seems happy with me. I've even asked him, just to make sure.

The very fact that I cut my own hair without waiting for my next stylist appointment meant I was so frazzled I needed to do something outrageous. My hair had grown past my shoulders--Have I told you this one before? I think I have--and Mel kept telling me it looked good, not to cut it. Even my stylist told me to keep it long. But neither my husband nor my stylist was walking around the house half the day with sweat-drenched hair and shoulders because of the stress of taking care of Mom, putting her in her wheelchair, then lifting her out, then trying to cook something she would eat, and worrying if we were going to be dealing with sundowner's that afternoon.

One day I opened the front door and saw yet another long, familiar package delivered by UPS. I didn't need to open it, because I knew it was a model airplane. Now, you know how Mel told me he liked my hair long? Well, I had also told him I liked having only one basement room filled with model airplanes. I closed the door, walked into the bathroom, picked up the scissors and started hacking, and I hacked until no hair touched my neck. Suddenly, all the stress disappeared.

I felt good again, and besides, I had an appointment the next week to see my stylist. Anything I had missed, she could fix. She's accustomed to my quirks and knows how to recover my style once I've destroyed it. Okay, it takes a couple of trips, but I can live with that.

When you are stressed past the breaking point, what creative ways have you discovered that will help you come back down to earth? What makes you calm down when all else fails? I might need some different ideas for the next time I lose control.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 2:31 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I am so laughing, Cheryl, because I do the same. Last week, I lopped the top off mine. The bottom has finally gotten long enough for me to twist up into a big clip and keep it off my neck but the top has to be short. Really short. Feels so ugh better. :o)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

Cheryl, this is funny because I clipped mine short all around my face and my husband repeatedly says I should not be allowed scissors or knives.

Anyway a good de-stressor for me is a laughter. Get me to laugh, and it's like untying the knot in a balloon

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

Cutting my own hair would create even more stress for me!! You're a brave woman!

As for what I do when I'm frazzled? I just SCREAM in all caps to a friend, using all the !!!!! and onomatopoeias I need to express it! By the time I get through, I'm laughing at myself. (I had one of those days yesterday, and Tim brought me a treat, saying he felt I really needed it - a GIGANTIC Hershey bar with almonds. He apologized for not buying the biggest Whitman sampler box they make, saying he didn't have enough money for that one!)

Today is better. ;-) Except I still need a haircut. Ha!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger jel said...

I was very Frazzled Thurday,

and last week,

so to defazzl myself, one day I tore the tile off the bathroom walls. it felt good.
Then one day, I tryed talking turkey with a turkey. :)

I have to keep my hair short, if it gets to long on top, my head starts to hurt.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

No kidding, Ane. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. If I can stand to let it grow that long again, I'll try it, but I do love short. However, it's already back on my neck and perspiration is a given in Missouri, even in late March.

Oh, Mary, I'd think it would be really cute all around the face. That's how mine is, and though it's always wet, when I do get it dry I love it!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, I also scream online, Tracy, but if you want to do something outlandish but not permanent, you can get an impermanent hair color and put it in your hair. But really, chocolate is much better.

jel, I can understand the feeling of accomplishment of tearing the tile off the walls--and I"m sure you're prepared with new tile, too. ;-) Talking turkey with a turkey must be something like talking cat with a cat. Our cats have learned our language, but we haven't learned much of theirs. yet. I think they're smarter. LOL

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger jel said...

I tryed to call a turkey up with a turkey call. did look for a little while, but must had sayed somthing wrong,cause he run off :(

and no didn't put any tile back up.
we went with panneling, :)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

jel, I think turkeys have a complicated language. Also, paneling is easier to clean than tile. I've placed cute little appliques on my white tiles for a change of scenery.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger jel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger jel said...

ya know looking at that picture up there, It's a wonder that Mel's not like a pin cushion. :)

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I try to comb down my quills before Mel gets home from work, jel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz