Girls Write Out
Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I've always been a classic film buff. Since I was small, I can remember spending Saturday afternoons watching the classics. This was before TCM and AMC so you were at the mercy of local channels and commercials. I remember one Saturday night watching "Rear Window" all alone and how I couldn't sleep until my parents got home. I LOVE Hitchcock. Today my son informed me that he's been watching classic movies in class: Vertigo (not my favorite, but I did tell Seth he's been where that was filmed) and "Rear Window." I took a film class in college and I love and appreciate the skills required for a great movie.

Today is the 70th anniversary of "Casablanca" and I'm taking my family to see the film tonight at the local theater. I am so excited about it, although everyone, including my husband, has tried to get out of it. But they're going. They're going to see real magic on the big screen.

These movies to me are like old friends and I can't wait to revisit one of my very favorites. "Notorious" is my top choice, but "Casablanca" is a pretty close second. I believe, along with the classics in books, we should teach our kids the beauty of the classic films. Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant may not be Shakespeare, but they're more fun to watch. What's really sad is I didn't need to look up this photo. I had it handy.

Do you have a favorite classic film?
Kristin  
posted at 1:38 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 5:19 PM, Blogger freddikb said...

Gone With the Wind is my all time favorite movie. I have been watching it since I was about 5 or 6. The scenery, the clothes, the plot.... I also love Notorious-my favorite Hitchcock film

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger jel said...

anything with Gary Copper, in it.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Gone with the Wind is one I have to watch every so often. I find something new in it every time I watch it!! Gary Cooper is amazing Jel, I'm with you there!

The kids didn't fully appreciate Casablanca, but they did love the humor in it. : ) It's a start.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

"To Kill a Mockingbird" with Gregory Peck - or "Raisin in the Sun" with Sidney Poitier. Ah, now those are good movies. :]

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I watched Rear Window just a few months ago through Netflix. They have a lot of the old classics. You might notice they are mentioned sometimes in newer movies. That intrigues me to watch them. You've Got Mail got me watching the original Shop Around the Corner, Pride and Prejudice, and An Affair to Remember. :-)

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I also recently watch Mr. Roberts, which is one of my favorite classic movies though not a romance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz