Girls Write Out
Friday, April 20, 2012
No, this is not going to be a commercial about what a great skin softener coconut oil is--even though that's true. It's also not about the lack of a horn on this rhino. Am I missing something? Does anyone know anything about rhinos that I don't? It wouldn't take much.

What I'm going to mention today is something my assistant told me when I was fretting about my husband's job--she said I've got to give it to God and wait.

I'm not a good one to wait. I'd rather bulldoze ahead and get something done, even if it's wrong, and often it's just that--wrong. Mel was promised certain things about his job when he first signed on at his place of employment. It's the reason he signed on. And now those promises have fallen flat. He's working mixed shifts--half nights and half days--when he was promised no more than two nights a month. He was promised he would get the chance to attend church. No more than one Sunday a month of work. And now he sees the inside of our church much less often than he'd hoped. He was promised a lot, and it fell through. I tend to place blame and hold grudges, especially when my husband has been hurt, and that's just as wrong as lying to Mel to keep him working there simply because they need doctors in the ER. So I bulldoze.

I remind Mel that there are other jobs out there, and he doesn't have to kill himself to earn a living. I also remind him that I'm willing to take the risk of starting a private practice, and even loan him my personal assistant--you know, the one who reminds me to wait and trust God--if he wants to quit his job and start the practice right here in our town. I'm also rushing to get our home equity loan paid off so we will have our house free and clear this year, just in case we need to tighten our belts. I'm also rushing to complete 7 books this year for both print and ebook format. It's time I step up to the plate and carry some of the load for once.

But Mel doesn't move quickly. He doesn't make decisions easily, and the more I nag, the sweeter, yet less moveable, he gets. I'd love it if you, my friends, would pray for me to be able to wait, as Bonnie, the wise assistant, has warned me to do. I know waiting on God can be a very frustrating thing. I also know it's the most rewarding thing we can do in our lives.

Are you waiting for a breakthrough in your life? Let us pray for you. It's important to have support in this valuable exercise. We're in this together, girls.

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 1:10 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

Wow, Cheryl - you describe me so perfectly. Waiting is hard - I feel so guilty for waiting. Like I need to be doing something - anything - to resolve the situation myself. Yes, I'm waiting on a breakthrough - one particular breakthrough I've waited on for years.

I begin to ask all sorts of questions - of myself, of God - wondering what I'm doing wrong or not learning or not getting because the breakthrough doesn't come.

A year or so ago, I learned that God actually wants us to do one particular thing while we wait - He wants us to continue praising Him, even as we wait. Most of the time, I rise in the morning with a praise song in my head, and I go to sleep with them playing there too. It's the waking hours, when I tend to fret and worry, that the praise takes a backseat, so I need to remedy that.

I'll be praying for you - may the Lord move swiftly, and give you wisdom and direction with every step.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Tracy, thank you for reminding me of that. God sends some wonderful people into my life to remind me of things He's taught me before, and I've either forgotten or, as you say, put it in the backseat. Bless you for that reminder. Praying now that God will give you waiting grace.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

I just read the coolest statement and had to share it:

"We worked like it depended on us. We also prayed consistently, like it depended on God, because we needed supernatural help." ~ John Tiller (from Michael Hyatt's blog)

It was almost like God was saying, "Don't give up yet." Thought you might want to soak in those words too.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

Cheryl, I am praying for you.....and Mel!!! I'm waiting on a breakthrough, too. I think Tracy gave me the perfect answer for waiting!!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's a good one, Tracy. We don't just sit back and wait, we work, but we trust that God will make the changes and breakthroughs.

Jackie, praying for your breakthrough. Thank you for your prayers.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Some pastor wrote a book on rhinos. I don't think they see very well and they rush ahead without looking. I have to remember who it was, but I'm not a fan of waiting, though I will say I have crashed many a thing without waiting. LOL

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I've done the same thing, Kris. I've created so much havoc by not waiting, and yet on I go. I need better vision.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

"Hannah," you and I could talk and share stories. I totally know what you're saying. After 31 years of marriage with this ER lifestyle, I have learned that your assistant is right, but also, sometimes a shake up is in order.

War stories there. Alas. I know exactly how to pray for you and Mel. :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, yes, Crystal. You and I could share some war stories. Mel is seriously considering a change, possibly a private practice here in our tiny town. We have a thriving grocery store, pharmacy, convenience store. Restaurants don't do well here, but I just heard that a very successful doctor's office may be up for sale in a nearby town--the doctor, who is my age, is retiring. Mel's encouraged. Let's make it a point to share war stories next time we get together! I would wear my fingers out trying to write it all out.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, yes, Crystal. You and I could share some war stories. Mel is seriously considering a change, possibly a private practice here in our tiny town. We have a thriving grocery store, pharmacy, convenience store. Restaurants don't do well here, but I just heard that a very successful doctor's office may be up for sale in a nearby town--the doctor, who is my age, is retiring. Mel's encouraged. Let's make it a point to share war stories next time we get together! I would wear my fingers out trying to write it all out.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oops! Sorry, my finger slipped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz