Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 04, 2012
Writer's Block is what happens when you don't deal with real life effectively.  I've come to this conclusion after having to drive my son three hours away so that he could leave for Egypt with his grandfather (husband's father.)

I didn't want my son to go to Egypt.  I knew that stopping him would have been a mistake because it's a once in a lifetime experience and my son LOVES Egypt.  So I couldn't let my fears get in the way of his life.   Well, on the way up, I believe I had a panic attack.  And I could not drive.  We were stuck in Stockton, which isn't the best city in the world in terms of safety, and I had no choice but to let my son drive the family while I regrouped.

Once I got to my parents' house, I realized that I was holding in so much emotion because my truth was that I didn't want my son to go.  Once I let him go, and prayed through the angst, and the entire night while he was on flights, my writing brain returned.

And I came to a conclusion as a seat-of-the-pants writer.  You must deal with real life before you can deal with characters who work.  Otherwise, your characters will have all this excess baggage and they won't work for you.  Their conversations will be riddled with angst that doesn't move the story forward and worse?  They'll become victims of circumstances instead of movers and shakers.

So if you happen to be a SOTPer, deal with your emotions.  Food addicts will eat.  Drinkers will drink. And writers will pawn off their unwanted emotions on their characters.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 9:29 PM  
  Comments (1)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
1 Comments:
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Did he return yet? I understand totally where you are coming from--I think I'm like that! Argh!

This was a helpful post to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz