Girls Write Out
Friday, February 08, 2013


It has come to my attention lately that I'm skimming life. I don't take time to watch the sun rise even when I'm up at that hour, and I seldom see it set. I'm too busy rushing around, cooking dinner, seeing to  business, cleaning, skimming through my Bible reading, rushing through an edit. How did life become so overwhelming?

Every so often, I catch myself rushing through something I once enjoyed--like rewriting--and I wonder what happened to me. Why on earth am I no longer enjoying the very exercise of a talent God gave me? Why am I not milking that time, doing what I love to do, for all it's worth? When I lose the joy of doing what I love, why on earth even bother? I mean, if I don't enjoy writing, why am I busting my brain in the middle of another novel? If I don't enjoy it, I doubt my readers will.

So I've reminded myself to slow down. A lot. I need to dwell in this moment instead of racing toward the next. I need to indulge in this book instead of fixating on the plot for another. I love working with words and making them flow. So why rush? If I take it a little at a time, I can meet deadline and enjoy it while I do it.

What do you love to do, and what's getting in the way of your enjoyment these days? We're not supposed to use cliches, but taking time to smell the roses, pet the cat, kiss your husband, those should be our enjoyment in life. Let's keep things in perspective.

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 8:06 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 2:42 PM, Blogger jel said...

that is a cool picture,

and ys know what I love to do! :)

got some cool shots the other day!

will have to look that word up.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Jel, I think you're one of those people who live in the moment, enjoying what you do simply because it's fun. I would love to be more like you.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger jel said...

i do, but if it stops being fun, I don't do it. like taking wedding pictures. I was a nervous weak , until they came back.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I had this exact feeling yesterday. A friend posted a song and I saw 4 minutes and my first thought was that's too much of my time. But I started listening to the song, which was beautiful (Be Not Afraid) and thought I need to slow down and just take this in. It seems like I always have another project waiting in the wings for me to finish the one I'm on. You are right. We need to slow down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz