Girls Write Out
Friday, April 26, 2013

Although I do appreciate the gorgeous silhouette these dresses from 1855 offered women, I'm just so doggone glad I never have to worry about being poured into one of the corsets they had to use. I like to breathe too much. It wasn't until I started researching information on my earlier historical novels that I grasped the extent of discomfort women experienced to follow the rules of fashion. In fact, compassion for the characters in my book, plus the lack of logic displayed by all the accoutrements of dress, incited me to place my characters in the country, far from city life, where they were free to dress comfortably enough to ride a horse astride.

As for me, I've never been a style maven. I don't even like to shop, so when I find myself in need of something to wear, I'll rush into a store, purchase anything that looks halfway decent and feels comfortable, and it isn't until I get home that I realize I look better in vee neck tops, not mock-turtlenecks, or that the hem doesn't come down far enough to cover the widest part of my backside, or that the color makes me look washed out. It doesn't help that I change my hair color every few weeks. Colleen is going to faint dead away next time she sees me, because now I'm blond--it was simply easier and cheaper than having it highlighted every six weeks.

As for comfort, I stopped wearing heels thirty years ago. Now everything I wear is comfortable, walkable and supportive. Now my clothing and shoes fit my lifestyle--comfy, laid-back. I figure if I'm comfortable in my clothes, I'll be more able to put those around me at ease, so Mary Janes, Sketchers and Birkenstocks are my footwear these days. My pants are so stretchy I could sleep in them if need be, and my tunics are loose enough that I don't have to suck in my stomach. Ever. My biggest nod to fashion is an occasional wide belt to emphasize that there is a feminine shape beneath that loose clothing.

I would love any tips on comfy fashion these days, since I'm scheduled to speak at least a couple of times this year, and am finally presenting my face in public after a long year of hibernation. Any helpful hints?

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 12:47 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 6:21 PM, Blogger jel said...

sorry you know me
and my fashion cents! ;0)

I'm in to pink camo.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

How cool! I once purchased tiny pink camo for a baby shower for a hunter.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I have absolutely no claim to fashion sense, but comfort, yeah! My favorite jeans are called Not Your Daughter's Jeans. It's the only kind I wear now. They are quite stretchy and comfy, yet have a tummy control panel. Best part is that the waist is higher than most you can find these days, so no worries with bending over. As my brother in law once said, "Just say no to crack!" :) I always have to get a size smaller than normal, sometimes 2 sizes smaller. (Their shorts & capris are great, too!)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Sheila, I'm totally for getting a size or two smaller than normal. I'll check these out. Thanks!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I am soooo with you on this. Comfort before anything else. I will check out Sheila's jeans too. I haven't even worn jeans in years as I like things loose. Can't stand to have anything tight around my waist. As to my hair, I would LOVE it short short short, but my husband disagrees, so I keep it a bit longer but always have it up in an elastic or comb. I don't see the purpose. LOL

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Sandie, i finally went short with the hair despite the fact that Mel loves long hair. Now he likes it short, too. He says I look perkier. Heaven knows I could use some perk these days so short it is! JJill has some Pure Jill French terry pants that are sometimes on sale. I have several of those in different colors. Oh, my goodness, I'm becoming my mother, but I don't care. She was right, comfort rules!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Oh yeah, I relate all right! I don't own any dresses any more. I have 1 long skirt I use for the ACFW Awards Banquet, alternating between tops, but all have to be comfy.

I discovered Chico's Travel Pants, and I have 4 pair. Those I use for business dress, retaining the comfort but having the look of classy. LOL

But I quit dressing for style about 10 years ago. :)

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Ane, I have a pair of formal pants I've used for the last few years. Like you, I use different tops, and they work perfectly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz