Girls Write Out
Friday, April 12, 2013
This is the time of year when the wild geese and ducks can be seen flying in formation--or in confusion--all around our town. Spring is bursting forth! Since Di was recalling a long-ago memory, I thought I'd follow along the same line of thinking. Many, many years ago, when I was single-again and staying with my mother far, far, far out in the country after my father died, I enjoyed living on the farm. I think that isolated farm, 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor and hidden from the world behind trees, was my favorite place in the world.

Of course, the cattle were no longer our responsibility. Daddy sold them to a neighbor before he passed on, so the only animal life we had to deal with were dogs, skunks, armadillos and the occasional deer. Except for the skunks and one brainless dog who didn't know when to stop teasing the pretty black and white "kitty," it was calm on the farm.

I recall driving to work one morning during that time and watching the sky and the surrounding trees for pretty birds. We had all kinds of birds, from whippoorwills to nuthatch to bluebirds and jays. This one morning, though, I became excited when a flock of geese dove from the sky in formation and flew barely a foot above my car! Rarely have I seen ducks or geese fly this low, and I was so honored to be a part of it! I even stopped the car, mouth open in awe. How I wished someone could have been there to share it! Have you ever had that kind of moment? The life of the wild, right outside your car window? I felt so blessed.

Seconds after, however, I received yet more evidence of life flying over my car.  Something plopped on the hood. I get the feeling the geese weren't as enchanted by my presence as I was with theirs.

Suitably put in my place, I continued my drive to work, but throughout the day I thought about those geese and chuckled. Sometimes you get a little bird plop in your life, but take heart, at least it's a sign of the nature that surrounds us, in all its glory.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 5:23 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jackie Smith said...

I felt like I was THERE with you...loved this.
We moved to the "country" 4 yrs. ago and see lots of birds, deer, etc. Right now we are especially enjoying watching the birds nest and raise their babes. And the hummingbirds are coming daily....even getting into our garage and have to be rescued (they won't duck their head and fly out on their own) and coming onto screened porch when dh was washing away pollen...he had to rescue that one, too.
Simple life...but fun.

Blessings on you and Mel!
I read your posts, but have lurked lately due to health issues.
Jackie Smith
jackie.smith[at]dishmail[dot]net

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

We live near a small lake (and one very large one) and the Canada geese have taken up permanent residence year round. Still in the spring and the fall, they fly around a lot. I guess they're pretending to migrate. The fly low over the house and honk like crazy,. The dogs love it. They bark and jump and chase around. But hearing the honking reminds me I still live in partial country. LOL

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this blog post! We live in the middle of nowhere and have lots of animals. I shared the last line with my mom and we had a good laugh! Thanks for this entry.

amberdawnwhitlock(at)gmail(dot)com

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Ah, fellow country gals who know what it's like. Just writing that blog made me want to go back out to the farm, so today Mel and I drove over miles of extremely rough, rocky road past the old home place, where there's actually a cattle guard now, unlike when I lived there and we had to get out and open the gate. On one of the worst days of my life--when I had to go through six hours of deposition in prep for divorce--I wanted to get home to that place so badly, even though it was flooded, I drove as closely as I could get, 1/2 mile from the house, and pulled on some slouch boots and waded through the flooding creek in my dress. Didn't have a death wish, but I just HAD to sleep at home that night. I love the country!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz