Girls Write Out
Friday, March 15, 2013

Mel and I had another one of our interesting conversations last night. In this new family practice venture, he's being asked to put some people on diets, and he's working on a plan of action. I think I've been on every diet known to woman in all my years of fighting weight. Mel has never been on a diet in his life unless I put him on one--in fact, he rarely eats unless I feed him, because with our food issues, he can't trust anyone else not to poison him, and he does not cook. No, wait, I think he cooked two eggs five years ago, and I nearly fainted.

But who is it who gets asked to help with diets? The Mighty Doctor.

"I don't want to prescribe diet pills," he said.

"Honey, some people need help curbing their appetite."

"The drugs for that can be too dangerous. Remember that fen-fen fiasco a few years ago?  People got heart damage from that."

"Then maybe you can give diet plans that will help curb appetites. The Paleo diet works well for that, though it's a little drastic for most people, going off all those carbs."

"I haven't read up on that."

I suppressed a grimace. Of course he hadn't read up on that. He never read about dieting. I DID. "I was on it, you know. I even had you on it, remember?"

"I'm convinced diet isn't the answer."

"Oh, yeah? So you're saying something else will help people lose weight?"

"Cyanide."

I sat back and studied him closely. He'd been doing some strange things lately--putting a toner cartridge in backwards, checking the Monday appointment schedule to see if he had patients, when the clinic isn't even open on Mondays--but I didn't think he'd totally lost it. Until now.

He caught me staring. "Think about it, the way cyanide kills is by shutting down every aerobic function of the body. It kills in seconds. That's how aerobic our bodies are. A person can walk for miles and not rev up her metabolism for the long haul. However, when you throw in anaerobic exercise, your body has to hustle to keep up. It's very hard, but I think that's the answer for increasing the metabolism. Short bursts of hard exercise that gets you sweating."

"So diet is just an afterthought?"

"Both together, I think, is the answer."

"Wow. Diet and exercise. Who'd'a thunk? Cool, Honey. I might just try that."

He nodded, pleased with the decision. "Yeah, I think that's the answer."

Labels: ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:40 AM  
  Comments (21)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
21 Comments:
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Nooooo! Please tell him not to get on that bandwagon that just doesn't work!! We've all heard that and it just isn't true. Not for women. We are much more complicated than that. It's our hormones.

HCG is what he should be doing. That WORKS. And I can give him way more info than he ever dreamed of.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'll have him email you, Colleen. Have you heard of any modified HcG diets? Can docs still get the HcG drops or shots for their patients? My hormone doc puts patients on the HcG diet, but she doesn't drop the calories as low as the diets you and I were on, and those women still lost weight, and kept it off. I didn't keep mine off. What's the latest? I'll have Mel contact you.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

You did it early on before I knew what i know now. LOL You probably needed much less hcg than you were taking which was why you still had hunger. When you have hunger, the dose isn't right and the weight is easily regained.

He can prescribe it for patients legally. Modified ones don't work nearly as well for those of us who are actually metabolically broken. For younger, healthy women, some of them do okay. I never advise it though because the original is still the one with the best results. :)

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, I've given him a heads-up. This could help a lot of women.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger jel said...

I remember reading a cartoon, in a old readers Digest. about a Dr. who give a man pills to help him lose weight. when the Dr. told the man, you don't pop them in your mouth,, you thow them on the carpet, them bend over and pick them up 3 times a day. :)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, Jel! Good advice for me, too. I've got to keep exercising. I did it as a habit for many years, and then derailed.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger jel said...

ya know it's not so hard to touch your toes, it's coming back up, that's the kicker! ;(

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Tell me about it, Jel Oh, to have my old energy back.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Barb said...

My doctor, who is a naturopath, put me on the Blood Type diet. It is working well. I am to avoid wheat and corn and as a result am eating very little processed food.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Barb, does that mean you'll avoid wheat and corn forever?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

I don't know anything about HCG, but I did lose 75# on diet and exercise about 10 years ago (for diabetes). Once I left the diet and hurt my knee and couldn't exercise, I started regaining. I had a good exercise habit at one time. It's hard to get back on track once you lose it. Simplified the diet was 30 gram carb and 10 fat at each meal with 2 15gr carb snacks per day.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Barb said...

According to the doctor behind the Blood Type diet, there are things called lectins in foods that work against certain blood types, so it does mean avoiding those foods permanently. For me, that is probably a good thing, since I tend to overdo carbohydrates.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yikes, Sandie. That's happened to a lot of people I know--they've been so good about their health, and then WHAM, there's an injury or illness and they can no longer fight it. Praying right now that you get back on your feet and get through this.

Barb, I've considered the blood type diet, but found out that I couldn't have beef with my blood type. Not ready to give that up yet. LOL! So glad you're having good success with it, though!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger jel said...

is that you or Mel in the picture?

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

It's Mel facing Lake Tahoe. There were bear tracks--and bears--nearby.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger jel said...

cool.
any pictures of the bears, :)

don't forget to wear your green for st paddys day

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Jel, we got a photo of a bear, but it was so blurred you can't tell it's a bear...but it was! Promise! I've sent a photo of a bear paw mark a few years ago.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

GREAT news! As an addendum to my blog, Mel is signed up to take a course on HCG diet management as a physician! Yay, Colleen, for talking us into this!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger jel said...

did ya get any snow this go around

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Snow...I think I saw a little white. You?

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger jel said...

about 4 to 5ins :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz