Girls Write Out
Thursday, January 26, 2006


My grandmother gives me her old magazines. She is forever hopeful that her domestic teaching will take root in me, and I will sew purple things and bake cookies for my husband. The thing is, she did teach me well. I can cook. I just try to avoid it. I'm sorry to say the sewing was just never a possibility. Not after years of ridicule for homemade clothes.

Anyway, I was reading thru a "Woman's Day" and there is an ad in the back for elastic denim pants with "flannel lining" for added warmth and comfort, which looks like baby sheets inside. I just thought, if you are willing to buy your elastic jeans from the back of a magazine, and are intrigued by the thought of pajama flannel lining, it's just over. You have said, I give up. Forgettaboutit, I am old.

Well, I'm not going down without a fight. My brother-in-law offered me his Acura NSX (very expensive sportscar) for the weekend because his brother, the man I'm married to, "doesn't get the car thing". In a very sweet act of charity, and his way of saying I know you're not ready for the elastic waistband. It's a compliment, don't you think? But I think I'll stick to my minivan with the sunroof (so sporty and yet, mom like). I'm not ready for elastic, but I'm not ready for this kind of speed either.
Anonymous  
posted at 11:50 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Okay, that's hilarious! I am so not ready for the elastic waist and flannel panel, but sad to say, I drive a Taurus. Still, I'm not into one of those funny little bicycles with the basket and horn. So I'm good.

Cool car, K!

Diann

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'd go for the car, Kris! I mean, oh yeah baby, I can SO see you in it! LOL on the pants. I hadn't a clue they really made such things!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i couldn't drive a thing like that, i'd be too scared i'd crash it! give me my little broom-broom any day... (air con would be nice though).

my grandmother tries to domesticate me also. she has told me that i ought to wear frilly dresses instead of jeans and a tshirt. umm hello what century are we living in here?

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh... and by frilly... i mean like... lace! ughh!!!!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

That is one gorgeous car, Kristen. I think you should reconsider!

Say, I'm still thinking about that Google Earth. That was so cool, the way it swept you around the globe.

I do kind of worry about the loss of anonymity and privacy today. I wrote my name in the Address line and saw everything I'd written on anyone's blog! And consider this! http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes/

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Oh you young'un. This elastic and flannel is SO cozy! Altho I have to be careful not to wipe denture cream on them lest it leak thru to my Depends. LOL

At 94, MY grandmother took her first ride on a Sea-deaux! You ain't old till your mind says so. My outer is OLD, but my inner is 23.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

ROFL! Eileen is hilarious.

I can't believe you turned down the car. I would have hopped in that puppy and left the kids with Dad in my dust.

Camy

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

This is good stuff. I'm interested in buying that book She's all that. God Bless!

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Elaina M. Avalos said...

Okay...I'm a little late here Kristen but that's just too funny. Your post reminds me of the SNL skit where there's a commercial for Mom Jeans (I think that's what they are called).

Too funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz