Girls Write Out
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

IT'S INEXPLICABLE
What is it about men and Lowe's? Now don't get me wrong, I love to browse Lowe's and Home Depot myself--if we stick to interesting stuff like tile, home appliances, even plumbing fixtures. Or even the paint aisle is okay. I can get ideas there and dream up new things for the house we're going to build on our land in Peeples Valley, Arizona. But please, can we stick to those sorts of things?

We went to Lowe's on Saturday to order some door sidelights for the classrooms at church. They were ordered and paid for in ten minutes. Now mind you, we'd just been to Lowe's on Tuesday and had browsed through the store then. Or at least I thought we had. My husband says, "You in a hurry or do you want to browse?" I pointed out that we'd just done that Tuesday. He argued that we'd only looked through the appliances. I wasn't in a hurry so I said fine, expecting we would then look through the interesting end of the store.

But no, he wanted to linger slowly over nuts and bolts, INSULATION of all things, and gutters! Now I ask you, what can possibly be interesting about stuff like that? When I complained he was looking at the boring stuff, he disagreed, saying "this stuff is interesting. You have to have it for your house too." Well yeah, I had to have a root canal once but it wasn't what I'd call pleasant. Don't bore me with the mundane stuff. So we parted ways. I left him looking at electrical cord, and I went to look at the kitchen cabinets. We met back in the middle in what I'd call semi-interesting ground--the paint section.

If this is a taste of what will happen when we start bulding, I'm staying home when he goes to Lowe's. On second thought, I'd better plan on enduring the boredom or he may come home with green cabinets.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:06 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

OH, just wait til you get to the lumber!! I have been "taught" the correct way of picking out wood. Needless to say I was bored out of my mind and could not see the thrill of digging thru piles of sticks looking for that "eyeballed" perfect 2x4. Oh joy! Me I like looking at the huge bathtubs.... Dreaming of that perfect bathroom getaway!!~ No kids yelling at the door... ah bliss

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know, Colleen....a corpse wrapped in insulation could be interesting. Just think of the possibilities! LOL

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger eileen said...

And just exactly what cabinet knobs and hinges have you planned, huh? All those mundane details you have to LIVE with... Nope, no house building for this lady anymore. I love Lowe's and Home Depot. More my territory than Prada-ville. (But I did buy my dil a Prada for Christmas making me the world's best mil, right Kristin?)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

My husband is like that at Home Depot! He's browsing through all these little sharp and twisted metal parts that look like something out of a sick horror movie.

Camy

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Pammer said...

LOL! I know what you mean. My hubby can go for HOURS in the boring sections. I mean, how many different kinds of screen does a man have to look at? But I did learn, when we redid our bathroom after the fire...DON'T let them go by themselves to actually get the supplies or you'll end up with your mother-in-law's choice of linolium on YOUR bathroom floor. Sigh. (And have to live with it, ICK!)

Hugs!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I HATE the lumber aisle unless we're looking at nice oak boards for something I want. LOL I've helped eyeball those boards too.

Robin, you're a sick puppy. On the other hand, it WOULD make an interesting story! You can tell you and Camy write suspense from your posts. LOL

Pammer, you feel my pain. And no way would I let my mother in law pick out my house stuff. She likes dark green and I'm into blue. LOL

And okay, Eileen, I do like to look at cabinet knobs--when the time is right which it's not. LOL

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

My husband is leaving for Lowe's as we speak! They know him by name!

One of the best things I personally ever bought at a Home Depot was terry cloth covers for a Shmop I bought at a housework seminar! (I believe the terry covers are made by O Cedar, who makes their own Shmop-like tool.)

You put a terry under the tap, slip it over the big rectangular head of the Shmop, spray it with whatever, and clean that kitchen floor before it knows what hit it.

And you don't add to the landfill with something disposable.

Then you get back to writing and try to recover from that foray into temporary domesticity, she added, stiking out her tongue. :p

Hey, the Virtuous Woman had *maids*!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz