Girls Write Out
Monday, January 23, 2006


Something has happened to me since I've had kids. I believe it happened during my pregnancies, and I don't have any scientific proof to back this up, but I'm pretty sure some of my brain cells were sucked away.

You might wonder why I make this bizarre statement, but I have evidence that supports this claim. The fact is, I used to remember things. Before Kids, I didn't make lists, didn't have to because it was all up here. (she said, pointing to what's left of her brain). I didn't even keep a calendar BK. I knew where to go, what to get, who to see because I still had all my brain cells. But slowly--one pregnancy at a time--I began to lose my faculties.

At first I worried I had Alzheimers. Then I began talking to other moms about this phenomena. It didn't take long to see I wasn't the only one with a problem. It wasn't dementia, it was Momnesia.

Momnesia means you must make a list if you have more than one thing to buy at the store (then you forget to take the list with you). It means you leave yourself sticky notes saying "Take medicine" and "Call your mom". It means you set the oven timer so you don't forget to pick up your child. It means you can have an apppointment on your calendar, remember it that morning, and still forget to go. I didn't use to be like this. Really, I didn't.

People ask me why we don't have a fourth child (gotta keep trying for that girl!). The fact is, I have no brain cells to spare. It's going to take everything I have left to keep my children alive long enough to survive on their own. I'm hoping since my pregnancy days are over, the rest of my brain cells will stay put. Otherwise, I guess I'll just buy stock in Post-It.

Anonymous  
posted at 9:23 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

What about when you have memory problems but you don't have kids? Dognesia? Catnesia? Canarynesia?

I'm just pathetic.

Camy

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger susie said...

Okay, Denise. I'm going to attempt to make you feel better and give you hope. My child rearing days are over. But I remember them(there's some hope)kind of. One Sunday when all 6 kids were still living at home something happened that scared the bajebberz out of me, making me think I'd totally lost my memory and would never recover. At that time our kids ages were 3, 6, 10, 14, 20 and 25. As you can imagine, getting us all ready and out the door on time was a major event. I'd had a pretty busy week-end running kids everywhere. I remember leaving church in a hurry to get dinner on. I think we were having company. We were home about 10 minutes and about to eat when I realized I hadn't seen my youngest son since we got home. Then it hit me...I had never picked him up from Sunday School. Just then, the phone rang. It was his Sunday school teacher telling me he had my son. He said when I didn't come and my boy started crying that his mommy forgot him, he thought he'd better call.

I't was bad enough I forgot him, but I felt worse that it took me all that time to realize he was missing! Needless to say, it never happened again.

So, hang in there. My son is 23 and still alive and well(a little traumatized to this day)but alive.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Pammer said...

Um, sorry to break it to you, but you do know that once your children (especially boys!) hit the teenage years, the rest of your brain cells get sucked away. Yep, you will start the list and forget what you were doing before you can even find a pen. :0)

Funny post, love it!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

My goodness.... Just thinking about raising 6 kids from birth made my brain cells form a strike! I just have 2 boys and already have the nickname Dory from Finding Nemo!! My 3 step kids I lucked out on... they are grown!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL....I actually use the oven timer thing to remind me to pick up my kindergartener! Sheesh!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Memory cells are sucked out in the amniotic fluid. Then the little darlin's go into the nursery where WE think they're all innocent...they're really learning MOMisms=things to seriously bug their mothers. They are. I'm sure of it. I have a grandson now, and he's full of "isms." I love it! My daughter's turn.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

ROFLOL at this column, Denise. So, so, so true! Sad to say lost brain cells apparently do not regenerate once the kids leave home. Either that, or it takes many years. I'm still waiting...

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

*Sigh* Yes, but having written out that list that languishes on the kitchen counter, I'm more likely to remember what's on it. Most of it. Maybe.

We have another good excuse, too. It's all those characters scratching around, wanting to get out of our brains and onto the paper. Screen. Whatever, that thing covered with White-Out....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz