Girls Write Out
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Big Brother is Watching...Get Over it
You've heard it said Colleen and I are gadget geeks, but if you haven't tried "Google Earth" yet, let me just say download it right now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Oh my goodness, this thing is miraculous. I can SEE my old house. I can find Dana Street Coffee and Pho Hoa of Mountain View (my former hangouts) I can even see the treehouse my kids built in the backyard. Of course, privacy as we know it, is at an end. Which brings me to a point. I'm curious about people who are worried about the government "spying" on us. Are you kidding me? The grocery store knows more about you than the government. Target marketing put an end to your freedoms a long time ago. They can find out what kind of toilet paper you buy, why not know if you're a terrorist? Where's the negative here for us?

Here's the thing, what am I doing that I have to worry about the government coming after me? Even the things that aren't especially great about me, like my People Magazine Subscription and my penchant for bad reality TV is no secret. Heck, call Tivo, they'll tell you what I'm up to. And guess what? No one cares.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand this fight for "privacy" when it was already given away a long time ago. The credit score people know more about you than the FBI!

Okay, I give! Here are the She's All That winners from my newsletter. Dang, you guys are fast. I'm giving away thirteen because you all were so fast:
Esther Portillo
Brittany
Mary Catherine
Jill Johnson
Susan Wolverton
Kelly Froeber
Kathy Peer
Jennifer Reed
Tammy
HappyQueen
Amanda McCoy
Cara Putnam
You are all winners!
Anonymous  
posted at 7:56 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My teenage son found out about Google Earth a few months back and he's looked up just about EVERYONE we've ever known. Amazing!!! I even showed the kids the house I grew up in! Privacy left the building a looonnngg time ago.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

My dad found that program a few days ago , and its so fun. i have spent tons of time finding my house and friends houses. and if you zoom all the way out to where you can see the whole world and you hold the left mouse button and fling you mouse forward, you can make the world spin- its so fun. And with this program, you dont really need to go anywhere anymore-I was able to see the Eiffel tower, London, and hippos in africa from the privacy of my own home.
--Michelle

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang i slept in today, and i was too slow!

google earth cuts off about half a mile from my place. haha!

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Emily said...

My husband is addicted to google earth. He has saved all the places he's lived in his life, and then showed me every bit of Memory Lane. The upside is that my vacation-frugal man has saved all the places I said would be cool to see, so at least it's got him thinking about taking trips.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like Google Earth.....use it frequently for research. But sweet Di, I'll have to argue with you on the FBI issue. Having first hand experience, let me assure you....they know more than you think and they can make mountains out of molehills. TRUST ME ON THIS! LOL

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh! I just downloaded Google Earth and told Ronie to do the same. She's a little technology challenged, so she may not be there yet. I found my old house and the car keys that I lost while snowblowing (those of you in the south, look it up). And of course BB is watching. It gives the end-timers something to writer about. Speaking of...I have to check the Rapture Ready message board...

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

Now I am gonna have to check it out after reading all this!!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried, and I couldn't get it going. I am *so* technologically challenged! But it does make me wonder about something. How often do they update the pictures? Were they updating Google Earth when I was in my front seat - breastfeeding - in the Target parking lot the other day? Hope not. I try to be aware of where the security cameras are when I nurse, but this is a whole other thing!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

...because of a typo! Get over it? LOL! See, no privacy at all!

Hi, Kristin,

Technology is so advanced, it's scary!

Dh gave me am MP3 player for Christmas the size of a fat square lipstick. It includes FM radio and voice recorder. The wildest part is, most of it is the battery!

And I just read an article on Quantum Physics because I have no idea what it is--the article says nobody does--and learned the Japanese have made a car about the size of a grain of rice!

Fried rice, probably. Mmm. (See above post to Colleen, re duck-walking! See my blog re the second-fattest woman in Paris!)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Does that make sense? The site said "Margo said--" then, "this post has been deleted by the author." So I began my next post thus. So they deleted the narration. So, I'm going to duckwalk off to bed!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

But first, I looked at my childhood home! I feel like Emily, was it, in _Our Town_! Strange!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz