Girls Write Out
Sunday, March 12, 2006

A NEW AGE
How many of you have pets? Did you know it's the fastest growing industry around? People who aren't having children are adopting dogs. My daughter is CRAZY about dogs, and I have a darling new grandpup, Parker, a Golden Retriever. Kara and her friend are opening a doggy wash. It's called SEE SPOT CLEAN and is located at 13340 W Van Buren in Goodyear, Arizona. How's that for a promo? I'm out here helping her lay ceramic tile in the shop, and I've suddenly realized I'm no longer in my twenties. You'd think I would have understood that the day I found my first gray hair, but no, it had to wait until I was crawling on a concrete floor for four days.

The first day was bad. We walked in and looked at the floor, all fifteen hundred square feet of it. I thought "what have I gotten myself into?" But I couldn't let my daughter see I suddenly realized I wasn't her age any more. I mustered a big smile, rubbed my hands together and announced we needed to get to work. By the end of the day I somehow managed to totter to the car and collapse in the seat. The ride to her house was in a nearly unconscious state. I'm sorry to admit I was grouchy and snappy with my poor husband on the phone that night when he didn't want to get off the call so I could go to bed.

The next morning, I dosed up on ibuprofen, pulled on jeans that were spotted with mortar, and went off to the shop again. This time we had some oldies music playing and I was able to pretend it was 1972 and I didn't have muscles that screamed for mercy. By the morning of day five, I was sure I would have tamed those muscles into submission, but instead they were going AWOL and refusing to answer my orders.

That's when reality finally set in. I AM getting older. But I'm not going to go peacefully into that good night. I'm going to be like Maggie in HOT FLASHES AND COLD CREAM. I'm going to throw myself into everything I do, full bore, and go skidding into glory yelling, "Daddy, I'm home." But, don't tell my muscles, okay? They might not be able to take it right now.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 3:27 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Maggie will be so proud you, Colleen!! Shoot, I'M proud of you! I did a walk on the treadmill yesterday (first time since I was 10), and my legs are putty. How pathetic is that? I got up this morning and screamed, "Get out of my bedroom, you metal hog!" but when I came home from church it was still there.

Sooooo before my muscles can completely turn to the consistency of cottage cheese, I'll climb back on the treadmill. I didn't say I'd turn it on, mind you, but hey, we've got to start somewhere.

Baby steps.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee hee hee ;)
We recently moved....talk about reminding you you're no longer 20. Painting, moving, cleaning....ugh. I am finally beginning to feel like the old no-more-physical-labor me!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Colleen, I laid tile yesterday, for just one day, and my knees are killing me! I can't imagine doing it for 5 days...now that's true mother love!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I wonder why the mind doesn't get the message that the body has moved on. I remember trying to do a cartwheel to teach my neice. Um...bad idea. It went so differently in my mind.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Just got over the flu. Blech. Apparently caught it from my children--all three of them had it, poor babies. But get this: It lasted 12 hours or less for them, while I, on the other hand, got the full 24 hour version. That's an age thing, don't ya think?

So not fair :-0

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Carol Collett said...

I'm just so glad I'm not alone! My mind thinks I'm still 22, but my body reminds me about every 5 nanoseconds that I'll soon be 42!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Just remember, you're not getting older, you're getting better!

Rachel

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I'd end up in the hospital if I tried to do a cartwheel. I think the last one was when I was in kindergarten!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Funny how our bodies get bombarded with the signs of aging but our minds refuse to accept the fact. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz