Girls Write Out
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
EVERYONE HAS A MOTHER

Writers are obsessive people watchers. We have to be to be able to write realistic characters. I was at Wal-mart Saturday picking up something for my mother. It was late--after eight--and Mother's Day was the next day. I saw this big burly guy with tattoos and an earring searching card by card for the right message for his mom. A truck driver perused bottles of perfume. Three teenage girls browsed the housewares aisle. A young man dithered over two pairs of earrings. He held a Mother's Day card in the other hand, so I assumed the earrings were for mom and not for himself!

Seeing people from all walks of life turn out to pack the aisles at Wal-mart for the perfect gifit for Mom reminded me that everyone has a mother. Even though we all look different, we're all the same under the skin. We all have a universal need for unconditional love and acceptance. Our moms are the usual source of that love. We moms are "God with skin on." I'm an aging baby boomer now, but when something good or bad happens, I call my mother. When I sold my first book, I called and screamed in her ear. When my grandma died, my mother comforted me better than anyone even though she was going through the same pain. There's just something about Mothers. My own kids do the same thing. I hear about Parker (Kara's dog) playing with his new playmates at See Spot Clean. I get to rejoice with her about the new love in her life. I got a call on Saturday from Dave and Donna out getting their marriage license (oh happy day!).

Really, being a mom is the greatest thing in the world. Okay, except for that thing when they're teenagers and think your name spells S-T-U-P-I-D. Get through that and you've got it made. Then when they have their own teens, you can remind them of all the crappy things they did to you! And snicker under your breath.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 6:48 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am such a daddy's girl. i am really close to my dad, we talk on the phone ALL the time and hang out a lot. but you know what? as much as i'm a daddy's girl, noone beats my mum. i didn't realise it till recently, coz i had such a good relationship with dad, but mum is just... there... and when i need a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, or someone to just spend time with - there's mum. sometimes it's hard coz when i call, dad answers and won't give mum the phone... so i have to call her when he's at work (haha!) but i love her to bits, and i probably don't let her see that enough. my parents live 800miles away and i hope i can go visit them in july. gonna go during school term so dad will be working and i can spend the days with my mum!

thanks for the post colleen, really got me thinking!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sniff. I miss my mommy! I'm still apologozing to my folks for what a brat I was in those roll my eyes at everything teenage years. Mom always said, "May God give you a child who acts just like you."

And I say, Gulp!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

Your last paragraph made me laugh out loud, Colleen. So true...so true. I still have one who puts me in the stupid category, but I'm grateful for three who think I get smarter every year--especially the one who has her own baby now. ; )

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

FYI: Mine are 7, 11 and 14 :-)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

The older I get, the more I appreciate and love my mom. I'm such a mama's girl, I'll admit it. She's usually the first person I'll ask if I want to go to the mall to window shop or grab a soft pretzel. I love spending time with her, just the two of us. We're a lot alike. She was always the one to patch up scrapes, the shoulder I cried on when I got rejected by a boy I liked, who went to the bookstore or library and got me books when I was home sick (and still does). I love my dad but sometimes he's the male who just doesn't know what to do or say other than the logical A,B,C to fix things. Mom is the one who understands the need to cry before taking dad's suggestions to fix things.

When I get married I want dad AND mom to walk me down the aisle. I figure that's one of the best ways I can honor her. Do any of you moms have any stories of things your kids do to let you know how much they appreciate you?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'll never forget when our second one got to the age where he repeated back to me something I'd told him years before. I bit my tongue amd told him how wise he'd become. :o))

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm SO looking forward to the day when my teenager outgrows her "I'm smart and my parents are stoopid" stage! You give me hope. And WOO HOO, I get to see my Mom this weekend! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz