Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Why is it so hard to make a decision? We go into Starbucks and have a million choices from which to choose—all before we’ve even had a drop of caffeine.

I twirl my hair between my fingers, wring my hands together, bite my lower lip while trying to decide whether it will be a double-shot Americano over ice with whipped cream or a grande coffee light without whipped cream—or maybe I’d rather have a mocha latte over ice or maybe—well, you get the idea. I want to bang my head against the wall and tell the cute little twelve year old barista, “Just get me the caffeine!”

As I’ve told you before my husband is an educator. July is his month off from school. I asked him a question two weeks ago and with his nose pointed Heavenward his answer was, “I don’t make decisions in July.” I was a little put out at the time, but last Friday when he asked me to help him decide on which shirt to wear, I decided to steal his line.

“I don’t make decisions in August.” It worked. He picked out his own shirt. Course, it wasn’t the one I would have picked, but still.

I’ve been sharpening my decision-making skills of late on—Kristin will be so proud—shoes. The Women of Faith gals know how to pick shoes, let me tell you. Spiked, sparkly, fun, you name it. They have cool shoes.

Colleen and I decided we wanted to get with the program and went shoe shopping. There were so many choices my brain almost blew a fuse (you’re surprised, right?). Well, I’m happy to say I finally settled on a pair that will look great with jeans. They’re not even the comfortable old lady shoes like I usually wear! We’re talking spiked heels! My daughter was so proud.

I’ve pranced around in them a little, but the reality is, they scare me. I’m not all that tall (5’6”), but I feel like a walking redwood in those things. I could rescue baby kittens from trees without the help of a ladder. I can check the earth’s atmospheric conditions, for crying out loud. All without my feet ever leaving the ground.

So today I have DECIDED to have a decision-free day. I will yank clothes from my closet at random. I will skip the coffee shop today--well, okay, maybe not—but I’ll have a coffee light, period. With whipped cream. Grande. Absolutely nothing else.

It’s gonna be a good day. It might rain, though. Wonder if I should take my umbrella or leave it at home? I could take my rain coat, since it has a hood, but it’s kind of hot . . . .
Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:35 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

life is way too full of decisions. especially at the coffee shop! don't they just sell regular coffee over there at starbucks? that's what someone told me anyhow. at least my local gloria jeans sells regular lattes - and i don't even have to ask, they know me too well.


have fun not making any decisions. ha!!!!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

You are a scream, Diann. No wonder your write lady lit!

Are you gonna' wear your spikes to the ACFW conf? We really wanna' see them...

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I might wear the spikes to ACFW, Kristy! That is if I don't kill myself in them first. You'll be able to spot me. I'll be three feet taller than anyone else. ;-)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

I'm probably around your height, but I love high heels too. I even wear them while grousing about the fact that guys seem to like the small girls far more than taller girls.

Whatever. I'll take the shoes!

:)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Kayla, I have to tell you I love that picture. I don't know if that's really you and your kids, but everytime I see it, I think it's such a sweet picture!!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm scared, Diann. You are sounding way too mcuh like me! LOL I just know we were separated at birth. The only thing I have going is my morning coffee. I always make chocolate velvet coffee to wake me up. Every day ... no decision necessary. Strong, chocolate velvet coffee. Hmm hmm! I'm going to bring a pound of it to Dallas with me. You want me to bring a bag?

 
At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the hardest time making decisions sometimes as well- especially when I'm PMSing. It's like all that estrogen in my body prevents me from making simple decisions.

I am setting up my new classroom this week, and I had to take my husband with me to buy a mini fridge because I just couldn't decide which one to buy!!(and Walmart only had two choices-one too many for me) You can imagine how difficult getting my room arranged is. I just want someone to tell me how to do it. I don't want to decide where my desk will go, what color paper to put on the wall, where the desks will be, where my books will go, and on..
It gets so tiring!!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Jennifer!!! I hear your pain. My husband is an educator, too, and I can see how all those decisions would be challenging. Just reading your post made me want to break out the chocolate. *g*

Good luck!

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

I'm new to your blog and I love it! About those overwhelming choices -- I just bought a book called The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less (How the Culture of Abundance Robs Us of Satisfaction). Doesn't that sound intriguing? I saw it and had to buy it. Sounds like you need it too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz