Girls Write Out
Monday, November 27, 2006


Crisis! There are those people who you call in a crisis -- and then there's me. I think I used to be that person, the one who could step in and take over, but those days are gone. Buried under the trials of four kids, missed deadlines and just too many responsibilities. I was so proud of myself this week. I went to my mother's for Thanksgiving and bragged to everyone that all my Xmas shopping was done and my mom goes, "How could that be? We haven't drawn names yet." My cousin, without missing a beat goes, "Whoever she picks is getting a Waterpik!" Literally, the family is then fighting to make sure Kristin doesn't draw their name -- even when I offered to throw in dental floss!

It's here where the mythical facade of Kristin having it together breaks down quickly. I wanted to spend time with my Grandpa, I barely got to see him with all the driving we had to do. I wanted to spend time with my Grandma, got less than an hour with her. There's my mom's house on Thanksgiving, friend's house the day after, my in-law's house the day after that...and somewhere...in the midst of the chaos, I just lost it. I left my in-laws, leaving hubby and the kids behind, went to Starbucks, then to my mommy's house where she fed me, gave me Tejava, a little more possible bad news. Then, we drove home and I was overwhelmed by some of the problems at church -- and, I'd like to say I reacted by jumping right in, offering to do what I could -- but I'm maxed out, so I went to see "For Your Consideration" by myself. The Kristin you called in a crisis has left the building -- you might want to check the popcorn line. Or Disneyland because I'm taking the kids there on their vacation for Christmas. When all else fails, seek fun. Or as the Bible says, What else is there in life but to eat, drink and be merry! That's my cat Darcy, got to visit her too!
Anonymous  
posted at 2:07 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds like mine. Our older son called on Wed, saying he and the kids were coming (they live in Austin, TX and we're in an Atlanta subburb - a 16 hour drive).

I was thrilled. I haven't seen my grandkids in about 18 months. Boy was I in for a surprise.

While our grandson was his usual high-maintenance-ADHD-but- delightfully-cheerful self, our granddaughter had turned 13. Her cheerful self got left back at 12. She's turned into a person I don't know, nor do I want to.

However, I know there is light at the end of this tunnel, and I'm praying for her. But I'm wondering how Christmas is going to pan out.

Hey, Kristin, can I go to the movies with you?

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I hear you, Ane. I have four granddaughters, all within a couple of years of each other. I've already told our daughter that when they hit the teenage years, I'm moving. :-)

I'm with you, Kristin. I'm not good in a crisis. I will say a good supply of chocolate helps.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

Funny how some of us never get too old to get lovin' from mommy. I know that's me.

I have gone to a movie by myself when I needed to escape. Or sometimes I only take Hannah and we catch some girly princess thing at the dollar movie that the boys would just hate. Anything to just get away from it all and have fun.

Here's to an honest Kristin on Thanksgiving who so eloquently put into words the frustrations and joys that exist side by side on that great day. Thanks Kristin! :)

Tina F.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I guess that's why I get so peeved when preacher's preach on servanthood, and how the church is going to you-know-where in you- know-what because we all don't do enough. Sure, we get sidetracked to "self" at times and need to refocus, but really, working mothers, wives and daughters ARE serving. Praise Jesus for movies and Starbucks (in his day the only choice was a mountaintop :-)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger eileen said...

I think I'll schedule a movie, too. (Although my Tday was SO peaceful. I spent it with my daughter's in-laws. Another family...not mine! Delightful. No drama at all.) Then I came home. Sigh. M&Ms and a movie...sounds good to me.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Not gonna talk about our Thanksgiving aftermath but Kristin, when all else fails (besides praying) lock yourself in your room, pop in Fools Rush In with Matthew Perry and Salma Hyack and get away for a short bit. You will feel better and should be able to make it through the day--maybe even to the weekend. Not exactly Jane Austin, but it seems to do the trick.
Hang in there--Crisis Kristin will return after a brief message from Our Sponsor. :-)

Abundant blessings,
Jenny Cary

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I showed my lack of coping skills while we were on our vacation. Bob and I kept snapping at each other off and on. I felt like an idiot.
However, our water heater just burst (about 10 minutes ago) and I handled it with humor. Go figure. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz