Girls Write Out
Sunday, November 12, 2006

I went to see Moonlight & Magnolias at the San Jose Rep today, which is about the writing of the Gone with the Wind screenplay. I loved it because Margaret Mitchell's classic makes a terrible movie according to all the rules. She slaps a black child? (Prissy in the Melanie birthing scene.) She marries this guy and then that? But she loves who?

The screenplay writer pulled in to fix up the project has not read the book, and so O'Selznick is trying to explain Scarlett. The writer cannot understand how this "heroine", who breaks all the rules will survive on the big screen and "Everyone knows a Civil War movie has never made a dime." The writer takes his fee vs. part of the cut because he considers the movie a dog.

"I waited five hours to not know the ending?" is his assessment after being locked in for five days eating bananas & peanuts (brain food according to Selznick.) This is really the way all passion must happen. Someone has to believe so strongly in something they ignore the rules; the practical, their people telling them "truths" they know, but have to get past. Nehemiah did it to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem and O'Selznick did it to bring us Scarlett O'Hara to the screen.

With our passions, we just have to be right a little more often than we're wrong. This is my agent and me in San Francisco, near the Embarcadero across from the Ferry Building. My goal in life is to raise these beautiful kids and spend one year of my life living in Russian Hill, Pacific Heights or the Marina (areas in SF). We were a little braindead that day, but still had a fabulous day and San Francisco was sunny and in all its glory just for us. Unlike when we were in New York and froze! We've been together in Times Square, the OC and we're holding out for Venice, Italy next! Any interested publishers, please inquire here. : ) Don't worry, we're not holding our breath, but we're having fun!
Anonymous  
posted at 11:09 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you love something- why let anything stop you?
If you have faith enough to test your dreams- anything is possible

and the best part is when you end up somewhere you never imagined possible-

Like a sunny day in San Francisco-
or on the Beaches of the Cinque Terre

il dolce far niente

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,How I Wish, I was there with you in San Francisco!.
Sounds Wonderful!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Ahhh, makes me want to go back and visit San Francisco!

Great post, Kristin!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

I agree, Anna Maria...I was told in elementary school that I had no creativity and would amount to nothing. I never gave up and am still chasing the dream.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger eileen said...

I think you need an older lady as a chaperone. Hint, hint.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Cara Putman said...

I love Gone With the Wind, and everything about turning the book into a movie: I almost typed turning the movie into a book! Talk about a freudian slip. But Selznick got the book -- and so did Vivian. The result is a classic I can watch over and over again. Even with a heroine who isn't perfect and loveable.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Tina Ann Forkner said...

How fun. I love SF.

I cannot wait to see that movie. Interesting about the clips. Have you ever noticed a slight similarity between Vivian in Gone with the Wind and her as Blanche in Streetcar Named Desire? Intersting to me how Blanche is a leftover Southern Belle type...
Maybe it's just my strange brain. :)

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to visit San Francisco. I'm not sure we'll make it this time, but I'll be visiting California for the first time this weekend!
I CAN'T WAIT! Okay, I'm just getting a wee bit excited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz