Girls Write Out
Friday, December 15, 2006


I love having kids! Kids are these great barometers of reality. It's like being in high school all over again. They imply I'm a geek daily and let me know how radically "uncool" I am. This morning there was a guy running across the street and my son says, "Dude, you need to get some longer pants." (To us, not the guy.)

And I said, "Trey, those are dolphin shorts. They were the cool thing when I was in school, we didn't wear our shorts down to our knees. Dolphin shorts were cool. Dove shorts were the cheap rip offs."

And he goes, "Now Mom? Now, they're just freaky." LOL Trey is one of those kids where everything mortifies him, and you have to feel for the kid, I am his mother. My husband and I are the only adults in Tae Kwon Do with all the kids, and I'll show up to pick him up at school in my Tae Kwon Do outfit (because I'm not changing in a disgusting back room) and you can just see it in his face, "Oh heavens, look at my mother! Everyone is looking at her nerdy self. I could die!"

But see, this is a life lesson. I don't ever want my kid to be embarrassed over people seeking the zeal in life. The thing you learn at forty that you don't know at 12, is that no one really cares! And if they do, they're only trying to make themselves feel better. In reality, they wish they could let loose and have fun. I want him to go off to junior high school strong and self-confident. One of my key lines is, "There's nothing wrong with being a geek, Trey. Geeks rule the world! One day, those cool kids will be working for the geeks."

The funny thing is, his brother Jonah is oblivious to what other kids think. (Another mortification for Trey.) But Jonah can make friends SOOO easily because he makes people feel good. He says what people love to hear. "We should hang out. You want to hang out?" The kid has friends like the pied piper. Yesterday, I helped at their school and this mother said to me, "Thanks so much for helping, Kristin, you're a really fun person to be around." Now how cool is that to say that to someone you barely know? Being honest and open makes people feel good. Now go tell someone something nice!! Embrace your geekdom!! Kristin

P.S. Those are dolphin shorts. "Let's Get Physical!" Sing it with me now you children of the 80s.
Anonymous  
posted at 1:06 PM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Dolphin shorts? I don't even know what those are. LOL

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I can't tell you how many times our kids groaned and STILL groan over things hubby and I do. One day our son pointed to an older man mowing the yard in a white t-shirt, shorts and dark socks pulled up to his knees. Son looked at Dad and said, "Don't you ever do that." Dad doesn't. Instead while mowing the lawn he wears a T-shirt that says something about an Elvis sighting. LOL!

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just Googled dolphon shorts because I've never heard of them, either. Are they really just old-school gym shorts with the side stripe? More info, please!?!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really can spell Dolphin....

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

My stepdad walked into the kitchen today with underwear on his head. A couple years ago, I would have been mortified even though it was just in front of me.

I cracked up.

My mom spent 16 years alone and she has always been very quiet. She loves to be in the background doing the dirty work because that's where she's comfortable because she goes unnoticed by most.

Oscar is completely crazy. He whistles constantly, dances around dorkily, and swaggers like he's the biggest gorilla around. He's not, but it doesn't matter. He's embarrassing sometimes, but I love that he's finally making my mom come out into the sunlight a little bit because she is really blossoming.

It's so much easier and more fun to enjoy the antics rather than rolling your eyes!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Yeah, I know Dolphin shorts. And OP, don't forget about those! And who's that in the red ones--Willie Aames? LOL Seriously. I know that guy, from back in the day. Remind me again?...

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anna,
Go to www.retroland.com for more info on the shorts.
Love your name by the way.
Anna Marie.. ;)

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I can relate, Kristin. Totally! According to our 12-year old daughter, my husband and I are mega-geeks and embarrassments to her. Constantly. Last year, she thought the things we do were "hilarious." This year, we're just "weird" and "dumb." As far as I'm concerned, I'm not THAT stupid. I went to school for 28 years and have a Ph.D., if that counts for anything. (It doesn't, in her book. I don't know ANYTHING.) Besides, I think I'm kind of "hip" for a 53 year old, so what's the problem here? (Please tell me people still say, "hip!")

OK, those of you who have been through this "critical-period" already: please reassure me (and Kristin, too?) that when our children are 25 or 30 they will see us in a different (more positive)light! Please tell me there's hope at the end of this dark tunnel!

P.S. I don't think dolphin shorts have made it to Turkey yet...too bad. Look what I missed, living overseas. :0)

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Pam, there IS hope on the horizon!!! Our kids who thought we were dumb are now 27 and 29 and we're suddenly smart again. Wait. I think maybe our son still thinks we're not quite right, but our daughter thinks we're smart, so that's good. ;-)

Truly it DOES get better!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Thnx for clarification on the dolphin shorts. I didn't know what they were either, but now I know I agree with your son - dude, get some pants!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

I have retaliated against the “Oh, mom don’t embarrass me” mode of my “too cool” children. I now sneak (when no one is looking) and do something really “geeky”for them to see and fear others will.
It has lately backfired though!
My 15 yr old is on worship team and was up in front for practice one day before church with a real serious look. I was walking thru the hallway which could only be seen by him and a few of my teens from youth group, and did the “Peewee Herman dance, and ended with the whole grab your ankle and back of your head with the other hand, dumb dance move (I call the water pump) I saw on tv.” My son was mortified and the other teens were trying to not giggle and get yelled at, but he and the girls all ended up laughing. Mission completed, I turned to find a repulsed elderly lady and about 10 people from church behind me with mouths open.... Lets just say I ran to the bathroom. Thankfully they know I am a goof, so weren't toooo shocked.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin? You let it "all hang out!" (So to speak?)
Honestly? I never was a geek nor cool while in high school. Just a "classmate." Now how "uncool" is THAT?

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tanya Breese said...

I had Dolphins in every color. Remember the two toned kind, like one side was brown, the other side tan, then vice versa on the back? Dolphins on guys are just wrong though, ewww...and I totally forgot about the cheapo Dove shorts rofl...thanks for the walk down memory lane! Class of '84!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz