Girls Write Out
Saturday, March 03, 2007


I feel old today. My son is on a junior high ski trip. I swear, it was just yesterday I was on that same trip! Beth and I made fun of the Irish priest for his sermon on how it rained for "farty days and farty nights". We got lost in the car with him looking for postcards and screamed at by the mean, old Catholic ladies that came along. (Probably my age now! Ahem!)

Our church was like that, it always had fun priests (we played ding dong ditch on the nuns at the rectory from the church one night, threw cans in a wedding reception window). Beth and I sat in the back pew every Sunday, one time putting a gummy bear there to see how long it stayed there (you don't want to know.) Now, it's going to be my kid in trouble. Funny thing, no one ever said to my mother, "I'm sorry Ma'am, she's probably going to be a writer someday." Or to my best friend, "A high school counselor."

I think at that point, they were probably thinking we'd do a little jail time and maybe come out the other side. I worked at my daughter's school yesterday and all the personalities are still there! Carbon copies of us as children. I tried to pick out which "gang" my son would be in next year (heap of boys playing knockout, I decided). But as I looked, I saw the same playground I grew up on. Girly girls on bars doing dead man drop and playing singing games (that was me), the less subtle girls, practicing cheerleading moves on the grass, the sporty girls playing tether ball (UM NO!), the popular girls standing in a circle talking about all the other girls and my daughter, who I am not sure how to classify. She was like a sunny bee yesterday, buzzing from each little group to another passing along hugs and joy. If you were that girl as a child, what did you become? And please, don't write me if you're in jail. LOL Kristin
Kristin  
posted at 12:33 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I am now a pastors wife...back "then" I once glued a smurfette figurine over the entrace door of my dorm in Bible college...I failed the Book of Acts class at said Bible college..I pranked more people than I can remember. I went to the mall with friends, we bought pretzels and drinks and sat on a bench in the mall and made fun of the people walking by...bad girl turned good, yup that's me. Except I still act that way most of the time...

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

Um...I wasn't ever that sort of person...I was the anti-pranker. If someone tried to prank some one else, I'd blow their cover. If kids 'ding-dong-ditched' the neighbors, I hunted them down and tackled them. If there were Tee Pee 'ers, I'd catch them...if someone was made fun of, I'd get in the face of the BULLY and make them apologize...

Maybe I'm just weird.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Ah, Catholic school. Been there. Done that. Lived to tell about it. Bless you my child.

:)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Kristin, I was definitely the little girl who floated groups. I still do that kind of. I have about 5 different groups of friends and I'm a senior in college. I think that's wonderful though. You know who your true friends are and you stay connected to them no matter what happens. With everyone else, they are fun to be around. You can be whoever you want to be.

I think i too was the anti-prankster.....no..... I just never did any. I was too scared as a little kid. I always wanted to be popular so I never did anything to hurt anyone or gain their approval.... i guess I was kind of in limbo... lol... now though, I'm much more happy and I could care less what other people think of me. That's what important: being the person God is molding you and being happy with that. Because He knows best. :-)

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Myrna said...

First of all, let me just say, that the way you write is funny and youthful so maybe that young girl is still alive and talkin'. I was the shy little girl who dreamed of being a foreign war correspondent. My hero was Bobby Kennedy and I loved to play with jewelry and have tea parties with my dolls. What did I become? A TV producer/writer. Thankfully, I got over the foreign war correspondent phase and simply enjoy foreign travel to beautiful places!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Liz H. said...

I was the floater most definitely and more than that I give almost everyone (girls mainly since I go to a Bible College that doesn't allow "PC" aka physical contact) hugs! And I spread my joy!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Liz H. said...

Suzanne, did you by any chance attend Word of Life Bible Institute. Cause we have a Book of Acts class taught by Dr. Wendel Calder. Just curious :)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I just LOVED everyone's answers, thank you so much for sharing. It's so fun to know what we were like as kids and how it translates. Incidentally, Suzanne, the only class I ever flunked in college was "Literature of the Romantic Era". How's THAT for irony. : )

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I'm not going to talk about MY past...but one of my daughters is the "floater".....let me know how it turns out...she's only 7. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz