Girls Write Out
Monday, May 14, 2007

Remember that I told you I’m married to the Gadget Man? We’ve had everything from clap on lamps, remotes that we talk to, CD players that come on by themselves, to preprogrammed lights?

Well, this time, my husband has gone too far.

He tells me he's going to the store to buy a trash can for the kitchen. I’m thinking, how sweet that he’s getting me a new trash can--pretty pathetic when I think about it, that I’m feeling all schmaltzy over a trash can.

Since we’re expecting our kids and their families, I rush around the kitchen to prepare for their arrival. Soon my husband returns, the kids arrive, hugs and kisses fly, chatter abounds.

In no time, our son-in-law says, “Wow, that’s a cool trash can, Dad.”

I had forgotten about the new purchase. My suspicions immediately kick in. When a thirty-year-old says a trash can is cool, something’s up. I’ll probably have to say “Keep America Beautiful” and clap three times before it will open.

In checking out our newest gadget, I find it is stainless steel, appropriately sized and very classy, but there’s something else. It has a red button. As I step up to it, the mouth of it opens automatically so one can deposit trash without ever touching the can itself. Simply amazing.

Today I drop a piece of watermelon on the floor and I bend over to pick it up--with my back side toward the trash can--when the Jaws theme song rings in my ears. The mouth of the can opens like a crane on a mission, and I’m thinking in a matter of moments, I’ll be landfill clutter.

Fortunately, my husband saves me from the clutches of this monstrous gadget, and he’s about to become my hero when I see him reward the offensive object with a pat on its shiny top.

Just how well do I really know this man?

For a moment, the thought of the Little Shop of Horrors with the man-eating flower gnaws at me--pardon the pun.

If I disappear, please tell me that someone will check our trash can!
Diann Hunt  
posted at 11:53 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Eileen Key said...

What a clever gadget. Now if it would just do your dishes!! Thanks, hubby.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha!
Too Funny!
Don't worry we'll send out the troops to look for you if you should become missing!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

Does it REALLY play the Jaws theme? If so, I NEED one...for my den, not the kitchen.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Well, okay, Allen, it doesn't really play the Jaws theme song, but I heard it just the same. All I know is, I'm throwing things away in the bathroom. That trash can is my friend.

You're right, E, if it could only do the dishes. This thing would most likely EAT them. *g*

Thanks, Anna Marie, now I can sleep at night!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

LOL! My husband thinks we're in the market for a new kitchen trashcan and I HOPE he does NOT see this one! He had one picked out of the Sturbridge Yankee Workshop catalog and was on the verge of ordering it last night when I decided I'd better read the description: "Holds 13-gal. trash bags." Ha! We (correction: I would) be changing the bag twice a day! I say there's nothing wrong with the enormous wicker basket we're currently using...it holds a 30-gal. trash bag just fine. :)

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

So does this trashcan make my bum look big? lol What a crack up. Sounds like your sweet hubby would make a good character...not that I'm hinting or anything ;)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Shoot, I've been eyeing one of those babies at Sam's, since the foot pedal died on my old one. Now I don't know what to do. I certainly don't want to become landfill fodder!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

Oh, that was so funny it brought tears to my eyes!

Perhaps if I had one of those, my kids would try a little harder to get things IN the trash can instead of ON it!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

ROFLOLOL! This was just the laugh I needed today! Thanks, Di.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Okay, Deb, mum's the word. Your husband won't hear it from me, I promise.

Julie, there's a bit of my husband in all my male characters. Just not gonna say which bits. LOL

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Rhonda/WA state said...

If that thing does devour you, I sure hope you can continue writing your books in there....ha, ha!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz