Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 28, 2007


Last week, I happened to watch the news in the morning when there was a court hearing for Lisa Nowak to possibly remove her ankle bracelet. She’s the astronaut who went across the country in a NASA diaper with paraphernalia to “Take Out” her competition, if you believe the prosecutors, or to “talk” with her rival, if you believe the defense.

I can’t help it, I feel for her. The woman snapped, and what working mother who has reached Astronaut status wouldn’t go crazy at some point? Can you imagine how obsessive you have to be to get to that level? Dating her, is like dating Alanis Morrissette, you are asking for trouble. And she was married with three kids, so maybe not the best choice, regardless. But I digress.

After watching the trial, I gotta say, I had no sympathy for her "victim" whatsoever. The “other” astronaut is not pretty. She’s vengeful and if I might say so, she sort of had it coming the way she taunted an emotionally-fragile Nowak. At this recent trial for Nowak to remove her ankle bracelet, Colleen Shipman, the other chick, testifies that she takes comfort in knowing the ankle bracelet is there. And she was scared of Nowak, though she lives in Orlando, came to Houston FOUR times, and each time she says it, she looks at Nowak and says, “to see my boyfriend”. Okay, I know these people are really brilliant, (Nowak has her Master’s in Aeronautical Engineering) but Shipman is nothing more than a junior high snot, and I personally wanted to take her out after watching her.

Let’s get one thing straight. He might be your boyfriend, but he hasn’t married you. Nor, does he obviously care if you’re scared to come to Houston, because he isn’t going to Orlando to see you, is he? He’s also the type of man who would have an affair with a married mother of three, so if you’re thinking you’ve got a big prize there, I have news for you. Thank God no one was hurt, is all I can say, but when you taunt the mentally unstable…and expect them to act normal, you're as nuts as they are. And quite frankly, I'll bet you half the NASA astronauts have Aspergers or OCPD. Look it up.

I have a lot of passion here because I grew up with a mentally retarded brother who attacked when taunted. He was nearly six foot and about three hundred pounds, and people made fun of him. Um, hello? Who is the mentally unstable one? Where's the survivor instinct when you need it? That's sort of how I feel about Shipman, "Hey, stupid!"

I'm just tired of the mentally ill being fodder for entertainment. My guess is that Britney Spears is bipolar. Which is made worse by drinking, and in the manic phase is often accompanied by outlandish sexual behavior. She needs help. But we'd rather watch her fall, and I just don't get that.

Sin and mental illness are not funny, but combine them, and you’ve got an entire “Entertainment Tonight” episode. Sigh.
Kristin  
posted at 7:06 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I agree!
I also have the feeling that the guy probably strung her along and misled her. A player working on someone that's vulernable. Just my opinion.
Not to say that Lisa N. is right, she's wrong in her actions.
But I think there are three people that are wrong in this situation!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Christy said...

"Thank God no one was hurt, is all I can say, but when you taunt the mentally unstable…and expect them to act normal, you're as nuts as they are. And quite frankly, I'll bet you half the NASA astronauts have Aspergers or OCPD. Look it up"

As someone whose brother has Aspergers, I can assure you that not everyone diagnosed with Aspergers is mentally unstable as you put it. My brother is not mentally unstable nor is he "nuts". In fact he is currently enrolled at a Baptist college with a double major in English and Philosophy. I sincerely hope that your intent is not to classify everyone who has a diagnosis with Asperger as 'crazy'. To do so is irresponsible and wrong.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I agree with you about the Hollywood thing.

90% of those people just need help. Or the Lord, or both.

But instead we watch them with morbid fascination on ET.

I felt this way about the whole Anna Nichole Smith thing. That was not entertainment. It was just sad.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

My son has Asperger's. He's brilliant, as are these astronauts. Most people with Asperger's are extremely well-balanced individuals who have difficulty socially. But that also can be "taught". But if you put them all together, say in an engineering or astronaut forum, it makes sense that you'd have trouble to me. To be so focused on one thing doesn't make for well-rounded indiviiduals.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Kristen,
Thank you for the clarification. I did not realize that about your son. I just wanted to make sure people didn't get the wrong idea about the diagnosis. Absolutly,I agree about being too focused on one thing, astronaut, engineers, etc. etc. I think there are people like that in any profession, but I'm sure it's more likely in the more high stress ones.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I honestly can't imagine the stress of it. .Lisa Nowak's classmates are the ones who died in the last shuttle crash, and I think she had difficulty after that.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say as a wife that has seen more than she would have liked to, that sometimes people are not dealing with the same moral standard. Some women do not care that a man is married, nor the men for that matter. The fact that a covenant was made between two of the three factors little into their decisions, it sadly becomes a selfish, distructive cycle until something equally destructive hits the cycle.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Amen Mamat. There's a reason God set up some guidelines, but in the midst of our desires, they aren't easy to follow. It makes you feel sorry for those who have to reap the consequences though. : ) Kristin

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that for the celebrities, I think it's sad because some people like to see them struggle. My heart goes out to them because some of them can't deal with a lot of the stuff that's going on. It just breaks my heart. I wish more of them would find God in their lives so they can get back on the right path and do good things with their celebrity status.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz