Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
FAME, ER, SORT OF
I live in a small town. Everyone knows everyone here so I'm starting get get a little, er, well-known. I'm starting to catch people glancing at me then looking back again and whispering to whoever they are with and then they look too. At first I wondered, do I have dirt on my nose? Is my hair a mess? Then I realize they know I'm a writer. My picture has been in our small town paper quite a lot lately.

You'd think my writing would be no big deal. When people gush about it, I usually say, "It's just what I do for a living." Do people think authors are any different from anyone else? It's hilarious! If they'd been here at my house this week, they would have seen a very different picture from some image they have about me.

We've had rain. Tons of rain. We've got an attached garage on our old Victorian and the roof is almost flat so it's got roll roofing on it. Dave has been wanting to replace it because there's this big old tulip tree in the side yard that has dropped limbs on it and poked holes in it so his garage leaked. Well more than his garage leaked this week. It blew in somehow and I had leaks ALL OVER the laundry room. The wallpaper is coming down from the ceiling. I had pans and buckets set out all around the floor but there were too many drips to catch them all so I threw down towels.

The glamorous life of an author? Um, have you had to think up a way to kill people lately? It's HARD WORK! I'm trying to come up with two new plots right now and my poor brain is nearly smoking. Think of me as a ditch digger. I just use my mind instead of my back. Hmm, maybe that's why it's always so hard to lose weight. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:18 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I got a glimpse of what your life might be like one morning when we were out with my mom and her new husband. "V" is local celeb in their small town: he did the morning show on the town radio for a couple of decades. As we were sitting in one of their local restaurants, several older people approached our table and made a big to-do about meeting him and shaking his hand. They enthusiastically told him how much they liked his show, etc., etc. Very interesting to observe.

Sorry you've had so much trouble with your roof! Hope you can get it fixed quickly!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

One other difference between being a writer and a ditch digger ... you can kill off that annoying character and no one turns you in to the police, but off one pesky coworker and it's all over the news.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I do voiceovers for radio ads - trust me - it SCARES me how many people recognize me by my VOICE when I order a salad at a local restaraunt. WOW. A little scary when someone gushes about your radio ad.

Colleen, you do such a great job killing people. Keep it up!! It'll come to you! :) :) LOL

I relate to the leaks - we got dumped on here too. Welcome to Monsoon Season. Ankle deep water in my basement. I'm inviting my toddler nieces and nephews over to my indoor kiddie pool!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I get those looks too, except it IS dirt on my nose and/or messy hair :0

Maybe your next plot should involve rain and home repair?

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger azmary said...

2 things......
1-- I can' believe this post was at 2:00 in the a.m., and 2-- you really need to sell that house, and hurry up out here to AZ!! Not much rain to worry about here :o)

Love ya!!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I can identify, Pam! that happens to me too and you never know what to say.

Jaime, I can identify names like you can't believe. I used to be a receptionist for Wabash Electric Supply and answered 1000 phone calls a day. I developed a very keen ear for voices. LOL

Mary, I actually posted that at 7. LOL And we're trying to get out there!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

We are in a small town. I worked in the public schools and now teach preschool. My fans are young but still run and give you hugs in stores, movie theater, etc. :) My boys don't know what to think about all that. I tell them at least someone loves me! They realize mom may not be so bad after all.

I can relate to the floods! We are getting more rain this AM. Acc. to the news, we have had about 6 in. since Sat. First, drought now floods. UGH. Our church is flooding. They are working like crazy to stop the water. REally makes for a smelly Sunday when your basement floods and it is too humid to dry.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

LOL That's hilarious!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz