Girls Write Out
Monday, November 26, 2007
Colleen's AWOL today. Probably too much tryptophan with her daughter. So while I have nothing to say, that's never stopped me before. Do you remember when you were in grade school, and someone was "acting big"? Well, that was part of my Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of people "acting big". These actual words uttered, "When the Masai yelled at us, we looked at one another fearfully. Luckily, I spoke a little Swahili."

Oh Lord, I do not belong here.


When we reach a certain age, don't we get past trying to impress one another? Doesn't it get old and really pointless? I mean, you know how at your 5 year reunion everyone is telling you how fabulous they are and at the twentieth, you're just happy to be there?

Incidentally, I am really hard to impress because I just don't care about what people have accomplished. I care about their character. My boy Curtis overcame a mother who abandoned him and many other siblings for drugs. His father was in jail for murder -- he graduated from a top college and made something of himself -- bought his first condo! But more important than any of that, my boy Curtis ROCKS because his character has always been impeccable! He's getting married in April (he sung in our wedding at age 8 -- all by himself when his siblings chickened out! LOL)

I don't know, it's just painful to me how some of us act like students of the world -- when really, we're Americans and we have it so easy! Happy Monday! Hope your Thanksgiving was more fun-filled. : )
Kristin  
posted at 12:34 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

The older I get, the less interested I am in "competing" and impressing. Character rocks and character outlasts all the junk.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

In general, people do exaggerate a bit when they tell stories of their lives in order to make themselves look better or more like the "heroes" of their accounts. I wonder what "a little" Swahili meant? Maybe it was "Where is the bathroom?" / "Do you speak English?" / "Do you have change?"

Isn't it a bit like reading resumes? What a lot of impressive-sounding "hooey" one has to wade through!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

What cracks me up is how ridiculous we all were in junior high and high school--those 'plague' years! Ugh! Last week I was in the town where I graduated high school 22 years ago, and you know what? All I could remember was people's faces at 17 & 18. Then I realized I probably wouldn't recognize them if I passed them in Stop & Shop while I was buying pie crust and overpriced eggs. What seemed so vital then means little to nothing now. As in who we know, what we wear, what we drive (or don't drive).

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Ahh Kris can I join you on the soapbox?

It's so bad in church. I go to church with so many great and talented people, but many of them get overlooked because they don't have an impressive story to tell. When I look at how my Mom cleans the bathroom faithfully, scrubbing the floor on her hands and knees because sometimes a mop won't just do the job...well, I have so much more respect for her than for people sitting in cushy offices and schmoozing on the phone.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I so know what you mean, Kristin! Sounds like a shiny little 'upper crust' veneer put on commonplace boasting. I'd have been rolling my eyes at my husband right about then.

I agree with Kayla, too...I have waaay more respect for those who quietly go about their work for the Lord not wanting the attention for it, but just doing WELL what needs to be done, than those who jump to be in the limelight boasting, posturing or otherwise drawing attention to themselves.

You nailed that one, Kristin. There IS more of a depth of character to the first, and a real superficality to the latter.

Matthew 23:12 pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the matter, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

The African tourists will eventually get their commeuppance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz