Girls Write Out
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Have you ever seen something you wish you hadn’t? It happened to me the other day.

I own a large hand-held mirror that I use to make sure the back of my hair isn’t matted, sticking up, or otherwise unsightly. I keep the front side of the mirror clear of fingerprints, but the back still has the price sticker on it and is always smudged up.

But the other day I picked it up and used the wrong side. Oh. My. Goodness. There are some things not meant to be seen, and a 38-year-old face magnified a dozen times is one of these.

Are those my pores? I gasp, staring at the Grand Canyon sized craters on my face. It must be. And I’m pretty sure those gorges on the sides of my eyes could flow the Colorado River. The texture of my skin reminds me of a cracked, parched desert floor. My face is a virtual National Park. Why doesn’t this make me happy?

I shudder and pull my eyes from the mirror, wondering what freak of nature created such a cruel device and why, WHY, would anyone actually use it? As for me, I’m covering that baby with masking tape. Life-sized shows quite enough, thank you very much.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:11 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I had the same reaction recently while changing in front of one of those three-sided mirrors in a fitting room. I innocently caught my wearing-underwear-only reflection from behind.

Yeah, my 38 years ain't looking so hot in that image either.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Girls, you have to use the "Special" mirror. That's the one where everything looks so fabulous, you're feeling sorry for Hollywood. One great thing about getting older, especially as a writer, your eyes go too, so the image staring back at you can be better than ever! Remember. The special mirror. : )

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Ah, but the time comes when you can't see your eyes to put on your make-up through that other mirror.

Then you must graduate to the ... MAGNIFYING mirror.

I had to buy a more powerful one a couple years ago. That puppy makes pores look like moon craters.

Sometimes I can't work up the courage to even look into it to put on make-up.

Sigh ...

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Is that what I'm seeing when I wax my eyebrows using my magnifying mirror? I thought it bore a strange resemblance to an Arizona desert wash. LO

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

You mean one day I'll HAVE to use that thing? You're killing me here.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Ausjenny said...

I have one of them but the magnifying side falls out so i know its the bad side.
It does have some advantages I just cant think of them right now.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

Here is the guy's input...well, maybe the atypical guy...I've been told that my opinions don't represent most guys. Lines in the face that are made by smiles aren't a sign of age, but a sign of happieness...and happy isn't ugly no matter how many lines there are.

Also (from my years of experience lighting plays and video and film) stay away from Florecent lights. Car painters use them because they show every flaw in the paint job...if you are applying paint to the face, don't use florecents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz