Girls Write Out
Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Compani, sit down! Compani, shut up!"

I had a sixth grade teacher I just loved, but she used to say the above to me constantly. I saw her after I graduated from college and she yelled, "Compani How you doing?!" LOL (That was my maiden name, in case you hadn't figured that out.)

They didn't have fancy labels like "ADD" back then. You were just annoying and disruptive.

The new "Flipping Out" was on this week. Did anyone watch it? I LOOOVE Jeff Lewis. In fact, I married the straight version of Jeff Lewis. I watched the show with my husband this week, and it's so funny, he really doesn't see anything different about Jeff Lewis, who is OCD and probably OCPD to the nth degree. He has to have six waters in the fridge (labels out), 2 orange juices, 6 coffee creamers, etc. DH says things during the show like, "Poor guy. That woman is crazy. How's he supposed to deal with that? He's just quirky, that's all."

At least I know I'm annoying, you know? My teachers told me from early on. I cannot sit still, I'm always reading about 5 books, papers are scattered everywhere. I'd rather work than clean. I'm always running late. But I'm married to an OCD guy, so I have really had to curtail my annoyances when they bother others. And worse yet, try and teach my kids to overcome their natural sloppy lifestyles.

But I try, you know? So this week, we go out to lunch because the kids are at their grandparents -- so it's just me and the man. We should try romance, right?

DH is going to get a salad bar, and I say, "Could you not do that?"
"Why?"
"Because you'll have to go wash your hands, then you'll be gone to the salad bar, and it will take you an eternity to pick the right lettuce leaves, and I will spend lunch alone at the table."
Okay, here's his answer...wait for it...
"I already washed my hands at work before we left."
"PIck something else out."

But this presents another issue. Now he has to decide all over again. So though he's sitting there, he's studying the menu for what feels like an eternity to me. Sigh.

I'm annoying, and he's quirky. A marriage made in sitcom heaven. Is it any wonder I write humor?

Labels: , ,

Kristin  
posted at 11:35 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

This is so funny Kristin. Before I read your whole post I was going to suggest a sitcom--but then I read the ending. Lol...really, you should think about it.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Julie, it's been my dream to write a sitcom. But you have to live in LA, and you work in groups. I'm not a very good team player. Sigh.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

You're not annoying...you're FUN! And we get such great writing from you just the way you are:-) I used to think it would be fun to be married to "Monk" (Adrian Monk from the USA show)...my house would be SOOOOO clean:-) But my hubby said it would drive me nuts, and I'm already half-way there:-)

And, Kristin, I told my husband I want a t-shirt made that says "Does Not Play Well With Others"---I totally get the group thing...but IF you were HEAD WRITER?????????

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Hilarious, Kristin!! That's why you entertain us so well!!! :-)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Sounds like you guys would make a great reality show of your own....

Love Flipping Out - Jeff drives me crazy with his OCD, but I'm totally intrigued by him.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Ausjenny said...

never seen flipping out not sure its on in Australia but I have a friend with cod and the other too i think.
jokingly in emails we were talking about left over food and someone said just put them altogether to which i jokingly said OH NO you cant have the colours touching.
well my friend agreed only i was joking but found she really cant eat her vegetables if the colours touch or they get mixed.thats when i learnt many of her other habits.
I think it would take a bit to get use to. And heaven help me if i find a neat freak! Im untidy all through school it was disorganized. Could do much better is she could learn to organize! Hey I knew roughly were things were! Im still disorganized to a degree and untidy. I do try but i fail bad.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

You know you've lived overseas too long when...

... you have to google "OCD" and "synchronicity" to figure out what was being said on "Girls Write Out" today. :) (I hate to admit it, but it's true.)

"Annoying" and "Quirky"--yep, that would describe my husband and me, too--so I totally get what you're saying. But Kristin, you're "Adorably Annoying"! Besides, who wants friends (and/or the writers that they read)to be cooky-cutter similar? :)

Pam from Istanbul

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Well, Pam if it makes you feel any more at home, I had a gyro for dinner tonight with dolmas. : )

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Oh, yum! Makes me hungry just to hear the words! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz