Girls Write Out
Monday, August 25, 2008

As the Olympic ceremony closed out these weeks of competition, I couldn't help but look back in wonder at some of the high moments. What I love best about the Olympics is the inspiration from athletes from all over the world who've overcome all sorts of obstacles to be there, to compete, to reach their dreams.


That is also, I think, what I like best about novels. At it's most basic level, a story is about a person, their goal, and trying to overcome some obstacle to that goal. Think about it.


You've Got Mail. An indepent bookstore owner tries to salvage her business when a conglomerate bookstore opens around the corner.

Sleeping with the Enemy. The wife of an abusive husband wants to escape her marriage, but he's determined to keep her.
The Lakehouse. A woman wants to meet the man she's fallen in love with through a series of letters. The obstacle? They're living in different time periods.

We're fascinated with goals and obstacles. Just like protagonists in a story, just like Olympic athletes, we all have goals, and there will always be obstacles. Sometimes internal (fear of failure) and sometimes external (need for a college degree). But one thing I've been realizing lately, sometimes way too late at night, as I've sacrificed sleep to watch the games. I want to have Olympic-sized determination. I want my protagonist to have Olympic-sized determination. I want my kids to have Olympic-sized determination.

So here's to training, to pushing through the wall, to reaching hard and long for those goals that have been sleeping in the shadows. Reach out, grab them, and don't let go.


Denise Hunter  
posted at 8:19 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Denise,

I appreciate your post! I have recently been thinking a lot about my internal obstacle of fear. I know that fear is not of the Lord--He has given a spirit NOT of fear/timidity, but of love, power and self discipline!

I have the goal of starting my own business (small--okay, this is about Olympic size...I guess maybe I should qualify that as big enough to fit and help our family but not overshadow it.) I have started out in photography. It's going okay, but I have the external obstacle of needing some mentoring in fine tuning my skills and camera knowledge.

But lately, I have also caught the vision for helping people/holding classes to help people create their own faith-storybooks/faith albums. There are some external obtacles there, too...but with both this and photography, it is mainly fear: fear in displeasing people, fear in running into conflict along the way if someone is unhappy...fear of where people will come from, although I KNOW God is faithful and can bring the people to me, fear of basic inadequacy, awkwardness...you name it--I could probably be afraid of it!

So...that is why I LOVE this post! It is so timely--and I appreciate the inspiration to have Olympic sized determination!!

I think that imagination/creativity is God given--and thus, perhaps, the dreams we have may be inspired by Him! I think that figuring that part out takes a lot of prayer. But, once we determine we are "going for it" with Him...when we allow fear to detour us, we are allowing the devil to take up a foothold in what is God-given. May God anoint us all to have huge dreams and not allow satan one inch within them!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Don't get me started on my insecurities about not having a degree. Once again, your post hits very close to home. :)

And as much as I love the Olympics, man I'm ready for them to be over. Too many late nights--I'm so tired. LOL.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I love this post, D! Goals are SO important for all of us. You never hit anything if you don't have a target.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Excellent post, Denise! So true! Just watching those disciplined people makes me want to break out a bag of chips--no, I'm kidding! It is soooo inspiring! I've always heard if you want to do something bad enough, you'll do it.

When i started writing, I had a full-time job. The only way I could write was to get up before work and do it. So I wrote on my unpublished novel from 4:00-6:00 every morning. In looking back, I don't know how I ever did it.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Thanks for sharing your dream, Beverly. Fear is a big one for a lot of people, me included.

Sabrina, if it makes you feel better, I don't have a degree eithr. Five years of college and no degree! I couldn't care less though. :-)

Di, if I had to write from 4 am to 6 am, a book would never happen!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips said...

Ohhh, you mentioned the F word!

Fear!

Of failure:-) I have really been struggling with that, but you are right. You have to have a goal and determination.

You also meionted my ALL TIME FAV movie, You've got Mail. I so relate to that woman. I like to write... I love kiddos... I met my hubby on the Internet, and I LOVE Daisies. But all that is so off the subject... sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz