Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 20, 2008




Beauty is fleeting...

I'm a bit disgusted that the world hasn't come a little further in its worship of beauty. Did you see the darling little girl at the opening ceremonies who DID sing the National Anthem? She was beautiful. As was the little girl who sang, but it was a lie. And that's ugly.

America is leading this cause I'm afraid. The last ugly person you saw on television? Even Ugly Betty is beautiful. Not in America, nope, we're busy exporting the false reality that the world should all look like emaciated LA residents. Even Christians expect other Christians to look a certain way, don't we? There's a certain expectation at church. My own personal one is please don't let me see your thong in the back of your jeans and hide your bra straps ladies. So not pretty.

A few years ago, my husband and I built a "dream house". Which never felt like home to me, and I spent most of my time in its perfection wishing I was elsewhere. My parents are in it now, they bought it, and it feels like home with them there. They belong there. They make the house. I'm in an old place that I absolutely LOVE. It was built in 1963. The seller neglected to tell us (because he didn't know) it was on a septic. Guess what our first surprise was? Um, a backed up shower. Welcome home! So our first expense was a sewer system.

We've replaced the heating system, the water heater, put in air conditioning, painted the cabinets, painted the floors, took out the soffitts -- and it still looks aged. There were no appliances in the kitchen, so we've gotten those (we cooked on a heating plate). I had four PERFECT bathtubs in the house we built, I have one motel type here. My point is, it's what on the inside, isn't it? The beauty comes from within. This house is our home. My kids say it's their favorite of our houses (after living in two 4000+ square foot brand new ones!) You know why? Home is a feeling, and when you're so busy working on the outside, there's little time for what's inside. What really matters.

I think about these poor, old Hollywood ladies who can't let it go. They can't face that they're sixty and shouldn't really grace the miniskirt anymore. Beauty is supposed to be fleeting because that's how character is built, don't you think? Even if you can get into a tiger print mini, why would you want to? Because if you're competing in that game, there's always a twenty year old, and trust me, no guy is going to be fooled.

I sure have a different view of beauty than I did a few years ago And not just because I'm older, it's because I finally see what's important. I see beautiful people everyday, climb out of their European SUVs and push their way to the front of a line, and you know what? I feel like their worth is still valued by others and how they look and what a pathetic existance! In the last 4 years, I've lost three grandparents, and you know what? When they died, my parents were given a box. One cardboard box of their items. That's all that's left in the end. That, and the memories they built. I can tell you not one person fought over one thing because we all had what we wanted in our hearts. Their legacies were what was left to us. Some beauty is everlasting. Pictures: Last house -- and HOME!
Kristin  
posted at 6:00 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

I echo your frustration, Kristin. Everywhere we turn, we're bombarded here in the US with how much we should "do" to ourselves to look "beautiful" according to the world's standards. But as God wrote in the Bible, "Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart."

As long as have our plumbing and insides all gussied up and beautiful, our outside will reflect that inner beauty and we won't be stuck in a rut.

So glad you now have your 'home' and the happiness that comes with it.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Tiff, that's my life verse! Proverbs 16:2 because it helps me remember if I'm doing the right things for the wrong reasons, He knows it. And what else matters? that's my pet peeve, when Christians act like they can get away with stuff, it's like God doesn't know what goes on in secret. : (

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Well said, Kristin! Thank you!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I totally agree with you.

When I think of old houses I think character, stories, memories, dreams and wishes. I wonder what the walls would say if they could talk.
New houses just don't have that. These days you go into a new suburb and all the houses look the same.
Give me an old house any day - even with problems.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

This is why I can't talk to anyone within a decade of my age at church. Most people that I am close to there are 40+. Even though my life experiences don't relate to theirs whatsoever, we care about the same things. Not so people in their 20s.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Sometimes I suffer from house envy, especially after engaging in HGTV marathons. Our house was built in 1927. We bought it 12 years ago. At that time, the house hadn't been updated in 30 years. Our budget hasn't allowed us to complete everything on our to-do list yet, but as the money comes in, we update something new. I could have a beautiful showcase house, but I couldn't afford the payments. My house is cozy and offers something I desperately need--security. It's our home.

The other day, I came across a picture of when I was 19. Man, I'd love to have that body again, but then I have to remember I have scars and stretch marks that have shaped (no pun intended) me into the person I am today. Yes, I'm trying to lose weight, but for the betterment of my health. My husband thinks I'm beautiful, so I don't need to seek the praises of other men. As long as I'm glorifying God in all I do, I'm letting my light shine.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

The last house / home is the picture on the left, correct? (Just checking.) Both houses look very nice to me--and neither looks old.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Pam, you are so sweet, thank you for making me feel good. I do love my house(S). MY MOM and Dad made the "new" one look better, they have time to take care of it.

Lisa, you know what I figure. I only have so much time in life. Yes, I should take care of what I have, but should I obsess about it? That's the difference for me. I obsessed about keeping the other house up, this one is impossible to get to perfection and I like that.

Besides, if I had a body like a movie stars, I might have their life, and their lives suck. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz