Girls Write Out
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING
I've about had it with the new advertisements touting how "corn syrup has the same nutritional value as sugar." Um, that would be NOTHING. Do these companies think we're STUPID? Don't they realize with the internet we have a world of information at our fingertips? I think it's going to backfire on them. The ad will make people wonder just what the nutritional value is of both items and find out how destructive corn syrup really is.

I've become something of a health nut (and it's all Kristin's fault. She created a monster.) New studies are showing that corn syrup is very destructive to your body. It's not the empty calories--it's that high fructose corn syrup contains a good deal of "free" or unbound fructose. Research shows it interferes with the heart’s use of minerals like magnesium, copper and chromium. It causes fatty liver disease, increases the chances of metabolic syndrome, can increase your chances of getting gout. Gosh the list goes on and on. And it's in EVERYTHING. I dare you. Go to your cupboard and check things like chili beans. Most have corn syrup. It's in fruit juices we give our kids and all kinds of things we think of as healthy.

Cut it out! Start checking what you put in your mouth.

From my favorite health magazine, Life Extension Magazine: (Dec. 2008) - Metabolic Danger of High-Fructose Corn Syrup:

. . . . Fructose, on the other hand, is more rapidly metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leading to increased triglyceride synthesis and fat storage in the liver. this can cause a rise in serum triglycerides, promoting an athegrogenic lipid profile and elevating cardiovascular risk. Increased fat storage in the liver may lead to an increased incidence in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and this is one of several links between HFCS consumption and obesity as well as the metabolic syndrome. (7)

Scientists have therefore come to realize that all sugars are not created equal, which has been borne out in a number of studies. In one study, investigators looked at whether reduction in insulin sensitivity was caused by glucose or fructose components of the diet. They took two groups of young healthy men and fed one group a high-glucose diet, while the other received a diet high in fructose. At the end of one week, high-fructose feeding was accompanied by a significant reduction in insulin sensitivity and insulin binding, whereas no significant changes were seen in the high-glucose group. (23)

Do you have a deceptive ad that's a pet peeve of yours?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 5:28 AM  
  Comments (18)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
18 Comments:
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine would have to be those rotten commercials that say if your short on cash bring in your car title, or whatever and we'll loan you money against your next paycheck. Never mind that they charge you 35-50% interest and they can sink you a never-ending cycle of borrowing your own money. And they wonder why Americans are in an economic crisis? People need to learn how to be stewards of the $$ they're given.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

the campbell's select harvest soups. i hate how that lady claims she can taste all the "bad stuff" in progresso soups but can tell which ocean the kale is from in the campbell's soup. i want to dump the soup on her head. j/k....

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch TV, but my husband hates the "Thanks, Buy Owner!" commercials because he's a realtor. :)
Barbara Kingsolver's newest book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle will convince you even more about the evils of corn syrup and all other processed food. Definitely a thought-provoking read, which pushed me even further down the "avoid processed food" road.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I hate those commercials too, girls! I'll have to check out that Barbara Kingsolver book. Sounds interesting!

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what? It's already backfiring! The number of people googling "high fructose corn syrup" has SKYROCKETED since they started airing the commercials. Think raising awareness of HFCS is a good thing? Nope. The search results are not friendly to the cause.

Check out my stats and analysis: http://www.thereluctanteater.com/2008/10/proof-sweet-surprise-high-fructose-corn/

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those ads for that credit company (I refuse to name it here) about spending money and then having something priceless, however they say that.

What's priceless is the peace of mind you have when you don't use credit cards.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can check out Life Extension magazine for free at www.drvitaminsolutions.com. This is my favorite magazine too!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I love it when people get their eyes opened re: processed foods! Our bodies weren't made to handle that stuff. I try to eat natural and organic as much as possible. The one comment I hear the most from people is, "You look so young, what's your secret?" They usually don't want to hear my answer.

Colleen, next on your list should be hydroginated oils. So bad for you. They're in everything too.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh that is RICH, Ryan! Thanks for posting it. Goes to show you we aren't as stupid as they seem to think.

Suzanne, you're right about hydrogenated oils! They're in everything too. People need to start doing their homework about what's going in our mouths!

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The latest commercial that's backfiring big time is the motrin commercial about mom's carrying babies in slings. Its snarky, but in a bad way, and totally condescending to mothers. I just saw it, and the advertising gurus that thought of it are clueless. But we're getting more and more of these sarcastic commercials. When will they realize that sarcasm does not make people want to run out and by their product? Instead, it makes them want to turn off their TVs.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I haven't seen that one yet, Kathy, but it sounds like one I'd hate too! I hate to be talked down to.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I was also inspired and challenged by the Kingsolver book. I have it in trade paper and audio. LOL Just ignore some of her questionable take on evolution related to monkeys and man and you'll find much to enjoy.

I do need to check for HFC again in my cupboards. I've been pretty lax on my eating this year. I probably need to go back to the nutritionist and pay him to kick me into gear. :)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I'm lucky/unlucky in that I can't process that garbage and I can "feel" it when it's in something, so that's a good thing. Not only that, but my kids haven't had hydrogenated oils since I did the Swank MS diet in 1996 and so when they eat it, they can taste the film.

That garbage is like salt, if you get the salt out of your diet for two weeks, you can taste it when it has too much.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

Amen on the HFCS. Those commercials make me so mad. I wish someone would overthrow and "buyout" the FDA. (But maybe leave my candy alone...)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Never2manybooks said...

I hate that commercial for Volkswagon with Brooke Shields saying women are getting pregnant just to drive a volkswagon. Like we are that stupid. It is so maddening! I will now not even look at Volkswagons when I need a new car.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deceptive advertising is rampant in America. I recall a rather divisive national election that just took place. Don't get me started...


I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. I also avoid white sugar, white flour and anything highly processed. When I see the corn syrup ads I always think, "Do people believe this?" I'm sure some do.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I've got a soy allergy/intolerance.

Soy is in just about everything processed - its almost impossible to find food without it.

Which is kind of neat because it makes me eat a *little* bit healthier.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

I don't like to Napisan ads where the mum gets frustrated when she finds a stain on her little boys shirt and blames it on the laundry powder. Firstly she's looking at clothes that belong to a boy HELLO! Boys get dirty! Seriously!
We eat a low gi diet and I have to eat healthy cause I don't want to spend anymore time in hospital. So i have been looking at teh sides of packets. Also we have a food allergy in our family so ingredient check also happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz