Girls Write Out
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
I LOVE music. I always have. It just transports me to another time and place. Usually a better one that I'm currently in, and not enough can be said about living in a false reality. False realities are softer, gentler, happier places.

So I bought a new car a couple months' ago. (I know, I know, I promised to keep this one for awhile!) and it has XM radio, which I thought -- what a waste -- who would spend $12 a month for radio? Now, I am sheepishly raising my hand. My kids and I actually have schedules for which stations we listen to and when. Driving to school, we need to wake up, so it's the 80's station generally. I mean, when you hear Thomas Dolby's "Blinded by Science" or Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", how can you go away in a bad mood?

I am not an old bat in my Buick. I am a seventeen year old girl driving my Datsun 200SX. And don't you youngins dare ask what that is!!!

After school, they have the best comedians on the Comedy Channel -- people like Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan. Oh my goodness, those guys make me laugh until I am buckled over -- listen to Jim Gaffigan's "Hot Pockets" on YouTube or Brian Regan's Little League. Hilarious!

Then, when we get my older son, it's off to the all AC/DC channel. Elle has developed a love for Pat Benatar and Heart, but she's still my little Mozart girl. Actually Beethoven is her favorite and you know, I never could tell the difference between any classical music, but now I can hear it -- thanks to my 8 year old. I cannot stand the ballet you see at Christmas, The Nutcracker and I've learned that I cannot stand any Tchaikowsky (sp?) music. I love the Piano Concertos by Beethoven, Rachmaninov and Bach. Who would have guessed?

When I'm on my own, it's back to blasting my David Crowder Band -- but the XM Christian station isn't very good. That's a bummer. My point is, I'm one of those suckers who is going to pay for radio. Sigh.

Labels: , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 11:34 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Oh my goodness, Jim Gaffigan and his Hot Pockets crack me UP!! I'm laughing - at my desk, typing away - right now, just thinking about it!!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

All Christian radio stations are horrid and overflowing with contemporary songs that are overplayed. *stomps foot* I want to start my own.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Rachel Holliday said...

Kayla-I know what you mean...we have a great station in the Tampa Bay area...it is www.spiritfm905.com...check it out...you can listen online.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger laurelaggie said...

Brian Regan is awesome! We quote him in my family all the time. I love that my kids can listen to him, too. He does a great bit on "Dora the Explorer".

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

We used to live in a major East Coast city. I don't know what I would have done without XM traffic! I can't even begin to figure out how many hours they saved me with their thorough reports.

When we were driving cross-country to our new home, I spent hours switching between the 70s, 80s, and 90s. My poor husband was stuck in his car w/o XM or the children. I think I had the more enjoyable ride!

Betsy

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I have it in my Jeep. Started off as free for a year. Ha! That's how they hook you. Love it. No searching for a station each time you cross another radio line.

I'm such an auditory learner. I listen more than watch. And we are such a musical family. All kinds of music and instruments.

But yeah. I understand about paying for radio. I'll give up magazine subscriptions first.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I don't drive enough to pay for radio. I have a car, but about the only time I'm in it is if I'm traveling to church or a booksigning. Now if we could pay by the trip, I might be tempted so I didn't have to scan the stations looking for a good Christian station or an oldies station. But I only like the oldies from the sixties! I'm very specific. LOL

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh I have to see if I can search for the Dora the Explorer bit. I got Brian Regan's DVD in my next Amazon order.

I'm an auditory learner too Crystal, maybe that's why we get hooked and have to pay. You think? Can you listen to two things at once? That's one way I cannot multitask at all.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Man, when my free subscription to XM ran out I was bummed! (But too cheap to re-up :)

Oh, and we love hearing Pat Benatar sing "We Belong" because my cousin Dan wrote it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz