Girls Write Out
Sunday, May 03, 2009

"I passed you the other day, but I don't think you saw me," my friend says.

"No, I didn't," I say.

"I honked and waved like a madwoman."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I know." 

It's not the first time I've been told this. Meet Denise Hunter: Queen of Oblivion.

Earlier I was reading in my car, waiting for Middle Son's game to start. I was deep into "The Fire in Fiction" when I noticed a movement outside my window. Apparently Kevin had been there some time, even put his face to the glass, inches from my face. But did I notice? No, I was absorbed in Donald Maass' instruction on writing scene hooks. Apparently Maass had me hooked.

Oldest Son and I were recently discussing our penchant for daydreaming and he asked when I do my best thinking. 

Some of my best scene/plot/dialog ideas come while behind the wheel, so I say, "Definitely when I'm driving."

"What??" he asks.

Okay, not the brightest thing to say to a 16 year old driver-in-the-making.

I'm at Middle Son's game now and when I started writing this blog he was on 3rd base. Now he's nowhere to be found. Did he slide into home for a run? Get picked off on the base? Get tagged out at home? I have no idea. (Note to self: ask later what happened.)

So if  you pass me at a conference waving frantically, I'm not ignoring you. I'm just oblivious.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 1:02 PM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love Donald Maass' book! And I'm the same way when it comes to oblivion, especially if I'm engrossed in writing. I can tune anything (or anyone) out. Sometimes not such a good thing! :-)

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh my gosh, this is so true of me too, D! And driving is the absolute best time to think about a scene. LOL

I haven't gotten The Don's book yet. I need to order it!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

That's what it is, Kendall. I'm not oblivious, just too focused on the task at hand. LOL

I'd say you can just borrow mine, but I know you'll want your own copy to mark up and refer back to.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I sure do! I was rereading Writing the Breakout Novel this weekend and forgot the new one was out! I should have gotten it this weekend. I bet Barnes and Noble has it.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Denise,

As I was thinking about how much I appreciate this blog for making me feel more normal, I went in to check on my daughter's toast only to find I had never pushed the lever down. :-) Qualify for this topic?

I can identify. Thank you.

Beverly

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

Denise,

It was funny to read your blog today about best thinking b/c I just wrote a post a few days back about where people do their best thinking...I'm a shower & just before bed thinker.
Can't wait to read Maass' book!
~ Wendy

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Okay that was absolutely adorable! I find that I'm not overly paying attention these days when I'm driving either. Where do you live? We'll be sure to not be on the same roads at the same time or else! lol

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Beveryly, that definitely qualifies . . . sorry.

Wendy, I used to think in bed, but now I'm not awake long enough. I used to have a light-up pen just for jotting notes in the dark without waking hubby.

LOL Sue! I think that would be best for everyone.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

I have to admit if I am engrossed in a great book the world around me ceases to exist, just ask my hubby and boys, lol!!

Sometimes it's great to escape to la-la-land.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

I'm oblivious when I'm writing, but not when I'm out. I'm like a new puppy when I get to go out into the real world. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz