Girls Write Out
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A HOME REMODELING ADDICT
I admit it. I'm an addict. I LOVE home projects. The house is finished but I'm not looking for something else to do. We redid the kitchen last year but now I'm sorry we didn't take down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room to open it up so we're going to knock it down. It won't undo anything we've already done, so that's good. I think we're also going to redo the upstairs bathroom that we did when we first moved in twelve years ago. It's time, don't you think? :-) And we're going to take down some wallpaper and paint.

HGTV feeds this addiction. We watch it every single night. Seriously. Without fail. I love House Hunters because I can peek inside and see what other people are doing with their houses and what a current update looks like. When I think about it, it shouldn't be surprising that I so love the editing process too. That's taking the bones of a book and "remodeling" it so it's better. I'm about done with the rough draft to Lightkeeper's Bride and that fun tinkering can begin! This time is a little scary. All my Nelson books have been edited by Erin Healy. Last week I had a call from her that tossed everything upside down. Now I'd been expecting it since she's writing her own books. But expecting it and being ready for it are two different things! But as always, Ami and Erin had it all thought out and planned and they'd arranged for Lisa Bergren to take over for this book. (Erin says it's just THIS book. That she'll be riding tandem with me on the next one.) So I've got an editor I've heard really great things about. It helps that I love her books AND she writes historicals so that should be a help.

But I can't say I'm not a little nervous. It's like picking out a paint color and not knowing for sure how it's going to look on the wall and in my lighting. LOL But I'm game for it! The call of the new remodel awaits. :-)

How about you? How do you feel when faced with a new challenge? Do you like change or dig in your heels?

Labels: , , , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 6:36 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

You go girl! Not for me. I put things off until I'm desperate--as you know. My house needs new everything. And it's just going to keep needing it. Deadline? I need a deadline to get anything done. I hate that about me.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I love a challenge. Random change, not so much.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Edna said...

I love to chnage my house, want to paint now, but just can't do it myself anymore, we bought a new ref, and gas range a couple of months ago and I did paint my kitchen cabinets, but walls is another thing, it is just my get up and go has got up and went. LOL
hurt too much, hubby will not hire anything done and if I say anything much he will paint it himself, but he makes such a mess, that means I have to clean it all back up, so I just as soon let it stay the way it is.


mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

When our house got flooded the first time I was sad and upset, but then saw it as a blessing. I got a new bathroom out of it and new floors without carpet! The second time it flooded I got a new kitchen floor.

We got a new roof due to our ceiling caving in. We live in ancient house, lol!

Now we just need to start repairs to the celing, walls and cabinets. That's until spring, though, after income tax return.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I'm the same way, Cheryl. I put things off. But the main reason is because I have no idea to go about getting it fixed. Just redoing our tiny bathroom took so many decisions that I didn't have the decision-making ability to order a Starbucks for weeks.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

I laughed when I read this post. We remodeled an 1896 Victorian beauty and sold it when we moved. But it changed us forever. The next house we purchase was new, and we still did an amazing amount of work on it. This hard work paid off. We sold it in two months this past spring.

Now, we start watching HGTV and it's hard to stop. I have to choose carefully whether I will turn to it. Who knows how long I will be there!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I adore HGTV and it's all I watch (unless American Idol is on) :D We're getting ready to do a lot - new floors throughout the house, painting, of course, new fireplace facing, new kitchen counters and appliances. I'd love to do the whole kitchen, but the hubs drew the line. LOL At least I get the other stuff. I keep hanging out at the home improvement store, looking for the House Crasher guy. :D

I've always loved change. And like you, I love the editing part of writing.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz