Girls Write Out
Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm not sure what I did during my teen years, but one thing I wasn't doing? Going to concerts. Not sure how that part of teendom passed me by, but through my entire adolescence, I can count on 1 hand how many concerts I went to. Okay 1 finger. One. Seriously.

Lionel Richie rocked in 1986, and I was there to watch him dancing on the ceiling. (That's one of his songs, for you youngsters.)

Maybe I didn't get in touch with my musical side until adulthood--which would explain taking up drumming at 34--but now it's one of my favorite things to do. I've seen tobyMac, BarlowGirl, Skillet, Hawk Nelson, David Crowder, MercyMe, Newsong, Relient K, Family Force 5 and The Afters.

The cool thing is, since I was musicless during my teen years, my taste seems to have skipped a generation, and I love my kids' music. No fighting in the car about what to listen to. :-)

Last night was the latest in my concert adventures. We had 3rd row seats at a Newsboys concert, but it was so much more than a concert. Newsboys founder and former lead singer John James shared his amazing testimony and over 170 people committed their lives to Christ. What an amazing ministry that God is blessing abundantly.

Not only was I blessed but I found some new bands to follow: MeinMotion, Seventh Day Slumber, IN Honor of Him, and Bread of Stone.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 1:10 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I never went to any concerts in my teen years, but I've enjoyed many Christian concerts and even Donny Osmond! and the Lettermen in the last couple of years.

Donny Osmond's concert was such fun! There was a group of women there (in their 50s, I'd say) wearing matching Donny Osmond t-shirts and they'd stand up every now and then and shout out, "We Love You, Donny!"

Who says we can't have fun when we're older? ;-)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I listen to Air1, the hipper sister station to K-Love. I have found that I really enjoy some hip-hop, rap, and even heavy metal at times.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Denise, we are opposites, I went to countless of rock concerts as a kid and have never seen any of the Christian groups now at 39. I have been invited etc...but I just don't feel like it any longer.

I still love hardcore metal, and I am so glad to see so many Christian metal groups coming out. May be I will get to see one them in concert?

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL! This is ironic, Denise, but the only concert I went to when I was a teenager was to see the Strawberry Alarm Clock. I wore my Nehru dress and was so totally cool...until the drummer threw his drumstick out into the audience of screamers and hit ME in the head! And now one of my dear friends is a drummer. Thanks for not throwing your drumstick out into the congregation of worshipers at ACFW. It would have found my noggin, which isn't as young as it used to be.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL! This is ironic, Denise, but the only concert I went to when I was a teenager was to see the Strawberry Alarm Clock. I wore my Nehru dress and was so totally cool...until the drummer threw his drumstick out into the audience of screamers and hit ME in the head! And now one of my dear friends is a drummer. Thanks for not throwing your drumstick out into the congregation of worshipers at ACFW. It would have found my noggin, which isn't as young as it used to be.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Abby said...

You should check out Sanctus Real. They graduated from my school a year before me. They are great guys and their music is awesome.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Diann, who's Donny Osmond? Just kidding, don't hit!

Thanks, Abby, I'll check them out. I've heard of them.

Letitia and Barb, you might enjoy Skillet.

LOL Cheryl! I'll try and be careful with my sticks.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I do like Sanctus Real and some of Skillet. There are many groups I like, I just can't remember all their names off the top of my head, but here are a few. Lifehouse, The Fray, Kutless, Let's Dance by Hawk Nelson, tobymac, Pillar, Group1Crew, Pillar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz