Girls Write Out
Sunday, January 24, 2010

Today is Opposite Day. Not sure who came up with that one, but there it is. As a romance writer I think about opposites a lot. We've all heard the saying "Opposites attract", and that's a tool I utilize when developing my characters.

After all, opposite traits not only attract, they can also create that little thing we love in novels but hate in life: conflict. If my hero is impulsive and spontaneous, why not pair him with an organized, stick-in-the-mud heroine?

There are plenty of opposite traits among us Girls, but we get a kick out of our differences. Sometimes they send us into fits of hysterical giggles, and they always make things more interesting.

But sometimes opposite traits aren't so much fun, especially when you're talking about marriage. You're a saver, he's a spender . . . You're a homebody, he's a socializer . . . You're strict, he's lenient . . . You're a clean freak, he's a Messy . . . and on and on it goes.

Still, though opposite traits can cause conflict, they can also bring balance, and that can be a good thing. I've learned to be more social by hanging around my talkative hubby. I've learned to be more flexible because of his wing-it nature. I've learned it won't kill me to spend a little money.

Since it's Opposite Day, tell us how you're opposite from whomever shares your home, and if it's brought balance into your life.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:22 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

My husband is quiet, I'm talkative. He's into sports, I'm into art and reading. He's calm and level-headed, I'm emotional and mercurial. I could go on and on about how we are different (though we share some commonalities and interests, too). I see him as the stabilizing factor, the ballast in my life. That's why I was attracted to him. :)

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Oh my ... let me count the ways!

1. I'm a dreamer, he has no imagination whatsoever

2. I read fiction, he reads Hebrew and Greek. (not joking)

3. I'm impulsive, he's practical

4. I fly by the seat of my pants, he process by logic and deliberation

5. I love coffee. He hates it. (that is our biggest bone of contention ;)
5.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I've never met a stranger. Dave is quiet until you get to know him. He's calm and methodical, thinks things through. I react with my gut. Oh the list could go on and on. LOL But I love that guy! We compliment one another so well.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger KC said...

My wife is a writer, I am not. She likes to sleep late and rise to a white chocolate mocha where I try to wake before the morning sun rises to a glass of OJ. She enjoys sitting at a computer all day where I would deem this a cruel and unusal punishment. She prefers a balmy 92 degree thermostat to my preference of right above freezing. She reacts then thinks and I think then react but usually reach the same conclusion. But most of all...woundn't know what to do with at her!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz